Dune 2 Improved AI Scenario Fix

MrFlibble

IMPORTANT NOTE: This project has been discontinued. For the new versions of the fix, go here: http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=21532.0

Original project description follows:

When I was playing around with Dune 2 editors, I have learned that the original scenarios contained a serious flaw - the AI scripts regarding vehicle attack teams were screwed up, so, instead of sending groups of units against the player, the AI would just order each newly built vehicle to attack the enemy base.

The Dune 2 Scenario Editor by Shagrath fixed this flaw, so I edited all the original Dune 2 scenario files (Shagrath's editor automatically changes the Track=>Tracked and Wheel=>Wheeled in team types) and compiled them into a new scenario.pak file. Doing so actually increased game difficulty level a lot, as AI controlled unit teams behave in a smarter way than their single-unit counterparts. Further editing of the scenario files uncovered other, less serious errors, that I have fixed as well. Also, I have compiled an "advanced" version of the original scenarios that increases game difficulty a bit more, as well as enhances the playing experience.

The latest version of the fix is 1.02b, and it includes the following changes:

- a smarter and more powerful AI that forms teams of vehicles that it sends against you, instead of single units;

- you can now buy ornithopters via the Starport in the last two missions - this feature was also missing due to a syntax error;

- some scenarios that had a unit limit lower than 25 were fixed;

- the scenario files have been optimized by removing extra blank and obsolete strings.

The advanced version has all the features of the normal fix, plus:

- the player's max unit cap has been raised to 50;

- in missions where starport is available, the number of each unit-type in stock at CHOAM has been doubled;

- the computer players' max unit cap has been raised to 35;

- the amount of credits given to the computer players at the start of each mission has been significantly increased to give the AI an advantage over the player.

The fix is theoretically compatible with all existing versions of Dune 2.

Download the latest version here.

Here are some screenshots of the improved game performance:

dune20029fy.png

Atreides combat vehicles approaching an Ordos base.

dune2003.png

Sardaukar Troopers marching alongside Ordos Raiders.

dune20062ut.png

An army waiting outside an Ordos base.

dune20080qz.png

An Ordos tank platoon pushing through Harkonnen defenses.

NOTE: Since the fix is now downloadable from FED2k's downloads page, I've removed all other attachments.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah, doesn't look like there's a lot of enthusiasm around here...

Dune 2 players seem to be an endangered species? ;)

Or everyone interested has acquired the similiar file LONG BEFORE I bothered to post it here?

OK, never mind. I just wanted to hear "Thanks MrFlibble, you're SOO COOL!" a couple times ;D

• 6 months later...

I've checked the old version, and found that the editor I used to fix the scenarios left many syntax errors that were in the original files. So I've edited all the ini files manually and have (hopefully) achieved a much better result. The fix now features:

- smarter AI due to the fact that now it builds up teams of vehicles instead of just sending lonely units against you; the units in teams also behave smarter, they can retreat if under heavy fire, etc. etc.

- now you can buy ornithopters via starport in the last two missions - this feature was missing due to a syntax error;

- levels where unit limit was set lower than 25 units (this happened mostly in some Atreides missions) have been fixed to have 25 max units per side.

Also, I've included a separate scenario.pak that allows to build up to 50 units instead of merely 25, which is far more reasonable.

UPDATE: Attachment removed due to the release of the new version, see below.

• 4 months later...

To the guy who downloaded the fix and sent me an e-mail:

I'm sorry but I've deleted your mail without reading because of the recent spam attacks on my address. :-[ Sorry. Could you please re-send the mail via the PM in this forum? Thank you. Alternatively, you may re-send the letter on my e-mail but please include "Dune 2 AI Fix" in the headline.

I've reviewed the fix, polished a bit here and there, and here's the result. This version features the following:

- Added european version support;

- The mistake in mission 3 where Ordos and Harkonnen would recieve Trikes as reinforcements

has been corrected: now both Houses will get the appropriate wheeled vehicles as backup.

- More minor syntax errors corrected.

UPDATE: Version 1.02b now available, see post below.

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Could you also post the separate scenario (.ini) files if you have them? I'd like to make new missions for the game, but using the un-fixed ones I have will override the ones in the .pak file.

YEah that was me.. why would you delete it though??

Thanks for the scenarios, now it's time for some mission editing!!

*edit* ahhhh I see, this topic is so active now with the two of us ;)

YEah that was me.. why would you delete it though??

I have to apologise. The recent activity of spam/possible virus or Trojan mail literally pouring down in my mailbox forced me to become somewhat paranoid :( So I have developed a habit to delete every mail sent by anyone I don't know of. Now that I have a separate e-mail for feedback on the fix, everything should settle down ::) :)

BTW, I really have recommend you XCC Mixer as an excellent tool for viewing/extracting files from Dune 2 *.pak archives.

I decided to experiment a bit with the advanced version, and increased the starting credits for the AI players a lot (like 1200 where there were only 300, etc.). The results excelled all expectations, as the AI builds really large armies and can literally overwhelm the player if he's not careful. E.g. in Ordos mission 3 I had to cope with continuous waves of enemy infantry and vehicles (in groups no less than four), and lost 2 windtraps and an outpost before I could pop out enough units to stop them.

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...