Wormsigns.

Imperial Sardaukar

Now, Of course I have read the book. But one thing has been driving me mad lately. I cannot remember what is a wormsign and how does it work? I would of course search in the book, but I don't feel arsed to look through about 400 pages to find a small definition which is not at the back of the book. Not only that, but the games constantly say "Wormsign" with electricity thingy. Was that even in the book? If so, someone give me a refresher...

"A sandwave moving toward the crawler. They'll have seismic probes on the surface, too. Worms sometimes travel too deep for the wave to show." Kynes swung his gaze around the sky. "Should be a carryall wing around, but I don't see it."

Dune

So I believe it is when you can see a worm moving in the sand, yet the worm is not above the sand. So the sand on the surface is moving or shifting, but you can not actually see the worms body.

Kinda like in Frank Herbert's Dune Miniseries when they go to see the spice harvester and the worm comes.

That is from David Lynchs Dune movie. The games seem more based on that, then the novels. (Except for Frank Herbert's Dune, which is based on the miniseries I believe.)

I have never heard of electricity of the magnitude in the movie in the novels.

That's right, Westwood got the rights from Dino de Laurentis I believe and that's why the games have been made in resemblance to the film ie the fedaykin's weirding modules, the stillsuits, the electricity appearing in wormsigns etc. Frank Herbert's Dune did get the right from the mini-series but for some strange reason in the first mission where the worm hunts you there are lightning bolts.

The 'lightning' was mentioned briefly in Dune, but only once or twice.  It's a result of static buildup.  Think about it:  [Very] Dry atmosphere, already half-charged by blowing sand/windstorms, and a 400-metre long abrasive object rubbing against silicon and other materials in sand.  The static charge would be immense, I would imagine.

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific quotes, nor do I have a copy of Dune with me here, but I do remember a reference in the book, as I was wondering about it myself.

That part you mentioned, with the wormsign, and Paul describing, was THE moment that caused me to continue reading. I admit I was a bit bored at first, but then BAM! a WORM. "... almost full! Almost a full harvester! We can't lose that!" "You come out of there right now or I'll rip the harvester apart with my lasguns." I was hooked from then on.