Dutch EU Presidency Holds Washington Conference on Transatlantic Relations

Europe. A Beautiful Idea? The International Debate Regarding the European Ideal of Civilization and Its Value in the European Union of the 21st Century

In 2004, the European Union is faced with a paradox: the dream of the European "founding fathers" has been fulfilled-- reconciliation, stability, prosperity are displayed in an increasingly united Europe. Yet as integration continues, the European Union finds it increasingly difficult to define what is common in a context of European pluriformity. What is Europe? According to the "founding fathers," Europe is an idea, a beautiful idea: an ideal of civilization. In this perspective, Europe becomes a culture, a collection of spiritual and moral values, which must constantly be maintained and upheld.

During the Dutch Presidency of the European Union, the Netherlands in collaboration with the Nexus Institute (Tilburg, Netherlands) will hold a series of conferences in The Hague, Warsaw, Berlin and Washington, to stimulate debate on European ideals.

The series opens in September, 2004, with a conference in the Hague entitled "The Politics of European Values". Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende will receive representatives of the various member states, politicians, entrepreneurs, and opinion leaders.

The series continues with three working conferences. Themes include: "Idea of Europe: Past, Present, and Future" (Warsaw), "Living European Values: Arts and Education" (Berlin), and lastly "Common Values in the Transatlantic Relationship" which will be held November 18th through the 20th, 2004, at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC.

The series culminates with an intellectual summit in the Hague in December, 2004, on the theme "A Citizen of Europe."

(Courtesy of the Dutch Embassy)

Personally, I think it's a bit easy to claim that 'the dream of the European "founding fathers" has been fulfilled'. We live in a time of increasing apathy and polarisation among EU citizens. Just look at the voter turnout at European Elections.. it has been dropping for the past thirty years. The more important the European Union seems to become, the more people stay at home. I'm also surprised at the increasing ignorance among EU citizens. I often ask this question to random people, and very few of them can tell me what the difference between the Council of Europe and the European Commission is. A sad thing that is. And often, these people are the first to condemn the European Union. I think the Union would be wise to stop celebrating and start working on it's PR.

Dunenewt hits the nail on the head though. There's really no such thing as a European identity like there is a Brittish or Dutch identity. The EU should primarily be an economical union, with some supranational legislation that is in the interest of everybody. Trying to make it more then that just makes no sense. It's not the right time, and I'm not sure if there ever will be a right time.

Remember that the original idea behind this whole enterprise was to entangle nations' economies so that war would no longer be sensible, and therefore preserve the peace. That at least has been accomplished.

And the USA.

True.  However ours isn't nearly as instilled I think, given most of us are European immigrants, or immigrants from the southern half of the continent.  I've met some Native Americans though that will rant and rave about the Imperialist Oppressors (IE The US Government) and how their ancestors (European immigrants) stole the Tribes' rightful land, etc.

However I often see more Americans wishing they were some other nationality than I do, say British, saying they wish they were French.  (Wish I still had that news photo, it was great.)

The EU wont work in the way they want it to, ie one big super-state to counter USA and become a United States of Europe for the simple reason that Europeans are all different.  English people aren't the same as Latvians who aren't the same as Spanish etc, almost all of us speak different languages.  IMHO there is as much chance as Europe bcoming one country as there is of China becoming one country, by peaceful means.

I don't think many European (short of Prodi ;)) would be interested in forming a European Superstate (I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to end up in the same country as the Italians and the French;)). What does irritate me is that national politicans take all the credit for the advantages of the EU, while at the same time blaming it for everything that is wrong with the system. It doesn't help either that most of the advantages are invisible in every day life. As a result, most people are oblivious as to the good sides of the European Union, since the only media coverage is usually negative media coverage (which I don't blame on the media). And then suddenly everyone is all shocked when Euro Sceptical party's start gaining votes. I wish people would wake up and take an active interest in society, rather then following the people that shout the loudest.