StarCraft Storyline

Wolf

It's disgusting becuase of the nature of the 'vats' themselves (what are the tleilaxu things called that grow the organs?).

ah guys do not you think that is too much off topic.

IMO Raynor is not tired or done and from the looks of it he has vengeance for his Protoss ( Like Fenix ) and Human friend in his mind.

IMO Raynor is not tired or done and from the looks of it he has vengeance for his Protoss ( Like Fenix ) and Human friend in his mind.

when Raynor wants revenge he rallies a camp and that makes him look like a puppet. sure he has trustful protoss allies yet he has no camp of his own and doesn't aspire to become a leader. Mensk is a rat but Terrans need a leader and that's what Mensk is >:(

in my own storyline (above in this thread) Raynor finally becomes emperor of the Terran sector. but thats an effect of protoss gratitude rather than Raynor leadership  8)

Ok let me clear some things up for you.

Xel Naga are creators of the Protoss and the Zerg. They are not evil at all. They never intended the Zerg to become such sadistic killers. Yes the Zerg did kill the Xel Naga but it seems unlikely that they wiped them out. Considering that the Xel Naga once had thousands of worlds.

Duran is not Xel'Naga. He's a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid (with human looks?).

You are definitely wrong. He is CREATING Hybrids. How can he be a Hybrid?

Duran doesn't represent the Xel Naga in any way.

Sure he does. Read his quotes again.

Xel Naga were supposed to be a large specie

Who were nearly wiped out by the Zerg.

From the StarCraft Manual:

"Within only a few hours the Zerg overran the defenses of their creators and laid waste to the Xel'Naga fleet. As the greater whole of the Xel'Naga race was consumed by the raging, genetic whirlwind of the Zerg, the Overmind gained the knowledge and insights of its masters."

and not a protoss/zerg hybrid.

Clearly not. The Xel'Naga are older than their creations. They can't BE their creations.

Zergs and Protoss were one of the thousands of races that were created by the Xel Naga. It would seem more logical that the Humans created them with their endless experiments.

The Terrans don't know about the Xel'Naga, nor would they be able to control such creatures. What would be the point of creating them?

Wolfwiz

I still think, though, that a Protoss/Zerg hybrid would, in fact, reflect the Xel Naga. We don't know what they look like, and it only stands to reason that the Xel Naga would try to create improved versions of themselves.

The primary purpose of the Xel'Naga was to make a "perfect" race - I think this is what Duran meant. The Hybrids would not look like Xel'Naga; the Xel'Naga are so imperfect that when the Overmind absorbed some of them, he didn't bother to create a strain of Xel'Naga breeds.

Wolfwiz

Don't they evacuate it, though, at the beginning of Brood Wars?

They evacuated most of the workers (Khalai), but some warriors were left behind.

Fedayeen Avril 01

There's an 'apparent' clip of SC II in the original WC III...

It's not a clip of SC II. It's jun fun art, sort of like Arthas doing that dance.

About the UED controversy, a few facts:

Blizzard wanted a new "race" in BW, the UED. However, the playtesters didn't like this, so the UED just became... not different.

Second, the Koprulu Terrans might have better technology than the Earth inhabitants. Yes, they lost a lot of technology (the UED made it to the Koprulu Sector in less than a year of warp travel) but, on the other hand, they've been at war for a long time. That tends to advance technology. But perhaps more importantly, the Koprulu soldiers would be better - fighters, officers, and so forth.

Lots of people on www.blizzforums.com, trying to piece the storyline together, figured the UED just stole Koprulu Terran technology.

Wasn't Matriarch Raszagal infested by Kerrigan? She was kinda 'enslaved', but it is never revealed how. This may be the only example of Protoss infestation. (And the Matriarch herself is by far the only example of a female Protoss ;))

Funny part is that Raszagal mutated a bit, just her mind been controlled by Kerrigan. Though overmind said it was possible I did not see any Protoss/Zerg hybrid in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Flibble

Did the Xel'Naga create the human race too? Who created the Xel'Naga?

The Xel'Naga created many failed races before they created the Protoss, and the Protoss are humanoid, so it could mean the Xel'Naga found humans, thought they could be pure of form, tinkered with them, called them failures, and moved on.

Not that it would make any kind of difference. However, I doubt it. The Protoss watched over many races that the Xel'Naga had created, and when humanity arrived, they didn't think they were Xel'Naga creations.

And on that note, the Xel'Naga never create races, they just steer their evolution.

Not all races would be created by another race. I doubt the Xel'Naga were created by anyone.

Wolfwiz

The Protoss and the Zerg are listed as the first and second creations of the Xel Naga, and since the Zerg killed off almost all of the Xel Naga after they were created, there can't have been any more creations.

Until the Hybrids. It's been a long time, the Xel'Naga could start regrowing their population.

Spiceguild

the Overmind plan was to merge the 3 races.

No, they didn't want to assimilate humans, since they're an inferior species (which still manages to kick Protoss and Zerg butt). However, they had to assimilate Terran psionics to defeat the Protoss... or so the theory went. Kerrigan wasn't taken to Aiur when the Overmind went there, so one wonders if the Overmind suddenly forgot about his asset.

Wolfwiz

I have a question. How come the Zerg weren't able to assimilate the Protoss they captured?

They were Dark Templar, and not even close to pure of essence. Furthermore, we don't know if the Zerg need to do something special to infest the Protoss, since they haven't been able to do so. (The latter topic is very long on many StarCraft boards.)

American Cyborg

About Zergs not being able to infest Protoss: the Protoss has shields, so I think the Zergs has some trouble with infecting them.

Only Protoss military units have shields. Of course, the best specimens to infest, High Templar, always have shields.

Mr. Flibble

Wasn't Matriarch Raszagal infested by Kerrigan?

She wouldn't make a good secret agent then, plus Kerrigan didn't seem interested in infesting the Protoss, and especially Dark Templar.

Hasimir Fenring

Is starcraft: ghost supposed to take place before, during or after Brood War?  Anyone know?

It was supposed to be 10 years later, but things changed; now it happens at the same time as StarCraft. Yes, that does suck. Nihilistic, Blizzard's partner, quit the project. There's a new partner, but I can't recall it's name.

PS it's extremely unlikely that Terrans are retrograde Xel'Naga; we're only 150,000 years old as a species and our genetic material is very similar to the stuff on Earth. We share 32% of our DNA with dandelions.

No, they didn't want to assimilate humans, since they're an inferior species (which still manages to kick Protoss and Zerg butt). However, they had to assimilate Terran psionics to defeat the Protoss... or so the theory went.

well, i think you are right, Zergs are many but somewhat weak so they are only interested by Protoss force and psionics abilities. also Protoss use a psionic matrix that ressembles the Zerg psionic link, so may be they can be assimilated and controlled. Terrans have technology, but this is plainly overlooked by the Zergs, they can't assimilate technology.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Kimera, I figure they [the UED] just stole Koprulu Terran technology. I think I've said as much to that effect above, but I'm too lazy to go out and quote it. And aboute technology; I'd have to say the UED, with a solid economic and industrial base, a large population, and a shitload of free time, would have far better technology. The Korpulu Terrans had to re-engineer their entire industrial base from scratch. Korpulu Terrans may be "better" fighters, but even that's a stretch. Whose to say that this near-fascist UED is always in a state of peace? There must be revolutions, rebellions, and riots to be put down. Even then, the nation that was so committed to war as to send an expeditionary force across the galaxy would be equally committed to a well-trained military force.