Thief III

nampigai

I've downloaded the demo, as I want to try it out on my computer at home.  I'm not sure if it'll have a suitable 3D card for it, though.

I'm with TMA on this one.  I'm a huge fan of the Thief series, so with such radical changes from its predecessors, as well as unnerving remarks by Warren Spector himself saying he wanted it to be more action-oriented, I'm somewhat worried it may not live up to my expectations.

First, Thief III (or Thief: Deadly Shadows) is not as good as Thief II.

That only as foreword.

It has some interesting new but poorly conceived features. The list of these features and all the small mistakes, that were made would be too long, so find out for yourself.

The only advantage towards the two other Thief games is the graphical engine.

Conclusion: Nothing spectacular, only fun in the first hours of gameplay.

It's not worth buying.

Aww, nuts!

One of the things that disturbed me a bit was that you got a dagger instead of a sword, which allowed to to do silent backstabbings.  But wasn't the whole idea of the game that you were a thief, not a murderer?

Really, I couldn't care less about the graphics.  I'd personally be happy as a pig in filth if it had the same graphics as Thief 2.  Although I did like the addition of the shadow effect, which could add a challenge to the game.  Ironically, that's the same effect that's probably made it too beefy to run on my video card (although Splinter Cell runs fine).

Anyway, I've got the demo, and will use that to see if I can run the game.  If I can, I'll probably end up buying it unless it's total shite.

Though it's not total shit, i'm sure you will regret spending money on it.

You're right. For me who bought the game and playied it. It was kind of too short. completed it in 15 hours. Kind of short compared to Thief II. By miracle I even got a good 25 FPS with my bucket of a computer. Ofcourse that was with minimum detail. I also complain about the mouse sensitivity. I couldn't find it in the options and the default was to slow for me. Could someone shed some light on the mouse senstivity thing? My overal grade on the game is 4 on a ten point scale.

Luckily Thief 3 uses the Havok Engine, so you can tweak nearly all settings in the "DEFAULT.ini". Try experimenting with the sensitivity there.

By miracle I even got a good 25 FPS with my bucket of a computer.

The system requirements also said "No Laptops", oddly enough i finished the game on a laptop (with modest to average graphics though).

Seemingly there are some more details, which aren't met by the game. This "advanced ai" thingie  also prooved to be exaggerated. The guards are hardly more intelligent than the guards from Thief 2.

Out f curiosity, what were your system specs, DasHogg and Hawat?

Well, I'll be the judge of whether or not it's worth buying once I play the demo.  The thing is that I'm quite obsessed with the series, so if I never got the full version, I'd forever be wondering what it's like.