Worst and Best Prequel Creation

TMA_1

actually it isnt explained in heretics, it sounds like it but they are just assumptions of what it could be, that the women are the axolotl tanks, it never says that they are kidnapped or taken women that are biologically manipulated.

Exactly!  We learn in the later Frank Herbert novels that the women are the tanks, and that could mean little more than surrogate mothers for test-tube babies. I was highly disappointed with the way they were played out in the House prequels. They were called "tanks" because of the imperiums apparent bias against any form of genetic tampering. Human experiments were one of the big issues appearing over the last half-century, with cloning and the potential for medical selective breeding. I imagine Frank was in one way creating a world where there was an acceptable method of human experiments, namely the method the Bene Gesserit used. All natural.

I don't think Frank ever suggests that the Tleilaxu kidnap their women, but suggests more that they secret them away for their higher purpose of breeding gholas, face dancers, etc.

There are some serious issues regarding the logic of the whole Great SPice War and the Guild being duped into using taintes spice (amal) from HC. I posted a bit on my scathing review of the book on Amazon. If you'd all like me to post my conclusions here, I'll do so.

I really can't find anything that I liked about the prequels, and I've read four of the five. Looking for a way to buy MC for next to nothing, and with the hardcover at 60% off on Amazon, I just might be able to find a beat up copy to read.

I totally agree about the spice war. They did invent an artificial spice in the later Heretics. It is silly though that they used so damn much from the later two books. I mean the prequels are just chalk filled with the two of em, Heretics and Chapterhouse. I just dont think they should be intermingled in my personal opinion, because the later two books are in a completely different timescale, and have completely differing politics and technologies that arrived from various different needs. I mean look at it, they show the no-room, the early invention of no-ships, the culture of the tleilaxu (which is different in Dune Messiah because Leto II wasent there yet, which is what in my opinion made the Tleilaxu so differing because of the scattering and the worship of Leto II). They made the whole Amal thing which was in the later books. It just got a little sick that they took so much from them at times that I think were just too silly and wrong. It is like putting a square peg in a round hole, two differing realities almost. The last two books and the earlier ones. it is hard to explain, but do you know what I mean?

Also, I saw the axolotl tanks not as women at all, but as wombs. They were hardly female, just devices that best suited breeding life. They were not sentient in my opinion, simply organic breeding factories, not females in the least, not even really human anymore. Just wombs. know what I mean?

They could not come up with their own ideas so they just took proven ideas from the future of Frank Herbert's Dune books. And this makes no sense as they are prequels and should not have anything to do with 10000 years in the future. Especially after humanity was not stagnate in about 5000 of those years.

But yes there is the question of the no-globe on Geidi Prime in the future, which has been discussed. Maybe it was made to preserve the Harkonnen way of life (culture) when no-globes were invented.

Sadly they just explain everything too simple and give every detail so that there is nothing for the reader to come up with. And then they repeat it in case you have short term memory problems. ::)