Piter and the Baron

TMA_1

above all, one of my favorite parts in Dune the novel is the relationship between piter and baron vladimir. It seems and reads like the baron respects Piter, and rarely respects anybody. It seems to me because piter was so brash with him, and treated the baron like equals. Piter knew he could do this because he was needed, and the baron knew this and hated it in a sense, but couldnt help but almost like piter in a certain way. I dont mean as friends, he dispised him. It is a grudging respect I guess you could say. I just love how they constantly attack eachother and say things that normally the baron would take offensively and kill the person who said it. It is a communication of intellectual and evil equals.  It is just cool in my eyes for some reason.

what do you guys think?

Yes, he would have killed Piter.  Eventually.  But he was still of use to the Baron when he died.

Baron Harkonnen preferred the Twisted Mentats because they suited his needs.  Why have someone who can coordinate your attacks, when you can have someone who can coordinate your attacks, AND have fun while he's doing it?  ;)

Seriously though, Twisted Mentats were "custom-made" for their owners.  Piter's love for killing and torture could match - even surpass - that of the Baron himself.  Plus, he was addicted to Melange, so the Baron had that leverage over him.

• 2 weeks later...