The patch is aimed at fixing the errors whilst preserving the originality of the game, so no extra additions or gameplay enhancements are made. See the detailed list of changes below.
Download the Dune 2 v1.07 Fix
The patch comes in different versions depending on the release of Dune II v1.07. Make sure you use the correct version of the files. An easy way to identify your release of Dune II is to look at the size of DUNE2.EXE. However, if you're not sure what to install, use the version designated as "HitSquad_v1.07"
IMPORTANT NOTE: Other releases of Dune II v1.07 seem to exist, with which the fix may not be compatible. In case none of the versions of the fix could be installed on your copy of Dune II (make sure it's 1.07 and not 1.0), please consider reporting such error in this thread, or send me an email to the address indicated in the fix readme file.
Great thanks to Nyerguds for hosting the patch ;D
Full list of patch changes:
- Fixed the internal syntax error which prevented the AI from assembling attack teams of vehicles ("team bug").
- Looped reinforcements are now enabled in certain missions.
- Removed the unused CHOAM (Starport related) section from SCENA001.
- Removed obsolete reinforcement sections from SCENA002, SCENA003, SCENA004 and SCENH004.
- Fixed invalid spice bloom placement in SCENA005.
- Removed junk lines (probably obsolete map data) from SCENH002 and SCENH007.
- Fixed incorrect hit point values for pre-placed buildings in SCENH006.
- Reinstated the sandworms that were commented out in SCENH008.
- Fixed the error that disabled Devastator reinforcements in SCENH017, SCENH018 and SCENH019.
- Removed duplicate Spice Silo and Light Factory structures in SCENO005 (two identical structures were positioned at the same coordinates).
- Increased the unit limit for the AI players to 25 in SCENO021.
- Changed the player's starting credits from 1500 to 1000 in SCENO022 (the extra 500 credits were a result of an error).
- Changed Atreides Troopers to Atreides Infantry in SCENH011, SCENH012, SCENH013, SCENH020, SCENHO021, SCENH022, SCENO008, SCENO009, SCENO010, SCENO020, SCENO021 and SCENO022.
- Changed the Atreides WOR to Atreides Barracks in SCENH022, SCENO014, SCENO015, SCENO016 and SCENO022, so that the Atreides can produce infantry.
- Fixed all missions where the MaxUnit value name was misspelled as MaxUnits for an AI player (SCENA005, SCEN017, SCENA018, SCENA019, SCENH017, SCENH018, SCENH019, SCENO017, SCENO018, SCENO019).
- Fixed the error which prevented the player from buying Ornithopters at the Starport in SCENA020, SCENA021, SCENA022, SCENH020, SCENH021, SCEHNH022, SCENO020, SCENO021 and SCENO022.
- Set the spice quota value to 0 in SCENA022, SCENH022 and SCENO022 (was 2500, but did not actually affect anything).
Mentat information fixes:
- Fixed incorrect power consumption values for the Barracks and the Starport (the incorrect values of 20 and 80 were changed to the actual 10 and 50).
- Removed two obsolete entries in German from the English Harkonnen Mentat database (EU and HS versions).
In-game spelling fixes:
- Fixed the spelling of the word "Ornithopter" (was "Ornithipter").
- Fixed the spelling of the word "incompatible" (yes, I'm pedantic ).
- Fixed the spelling of the word "Starport" in the building hints section.
- Removed the clicking noise from some of the game sound effects.
- Restored a missing voice clip during missile launch countdown in French and German (European and HitSquad releases).
- Fixed a graphical glitch that would occur between some missions in the HitSquad version.
Setup program changes:
- The setup program now allows to configure multiple sound devices for DUNE II (check SETSOUND.TXT for more information).
- Several text mistakes in the setup dialogue were fixed, most notably the music device selection screen, which no longer contains the misleading line "Play sound from" (changed to "Play music from").
Great thanks to:
- Kevin Cernekee for the WWPak utility
- Minniatian for his unofficial Dune 2 EMC patch
- Nyerguds for his Dune II Editor, modified SETUP.EXE, an updated version of the Dune 2 icon, and for hosting the patch
- Olaf van der Spek for his XCC Mixer
- Segra for the looped reinforcements fix
- Shagrath for providing the valuable info about the AI team bug in his Dune II Scenario Editor
- Siberian_GRemlin for Siberian String Table Editor
- Stefan Hedriks for Dunedit and inspiring work with Dune II The Maker
- TCH for his Dune 2 Scenario Editor
- TrueBrain for finding a solution to building decay problem
- Westwood Studios for creating this incredibly amazing, gorgeous, brilliant and highly enjoyable game ;D