Freeze While Scrolling

JonWaite

My problem is that my game freezes, typically while scrolling, but runs like a charm before hand.  I close all other programs and have even tried a utility to empty the ram and, while it makes the game run better, it will still freeze.  I have checked the BIOS and my onboard card is not being used.  I have also, just to be safe, tried the alternate video card switch without success.  Any help would be great.

Jon, sorry I couldn't reply to your e-mail sooner, due to the fact I have been pretty busy lately.

As for your problem, it's weird. What makes me think there's still a problem between the video cards, is the fact that dispite the fact it's disabled, the EASy output still shows the onboard video card as primary. Could you let me know if the onboard sound card shows up in the "device manager" ?

The driver of the Ati seems to be up to date and shouldn't be a problem. Another thing that suprised me a bit, is the fact that your BIOS manufacturer doesn't show. Of all things, this usually shows (don't think it's the culprint though)..

Although you close all background programs when you're going to play, it still shows 0mb free when you ran the test. Is there anyway you can switch ram modules ?

If you go to the site in my signature, check out the General section and look at the suggestions there. Most of them were discovered while troubleshooting lockup issues for EBFD..

In device manager both my vid cards show up but the onboard has an X through it because it is disabled.  Actually in the Bios I should be clearer.  The onboard vid cannot be disabled; all I can do is switch the primary card to PCI instead of the onboard AGP.  I ran the Ez before closing my programs so it showed I had no ram free.  I guarantee though that I have checked that the problem is not from a lack of ram because with dRAMatic I have cleared the entire ram and it shows a minimum of 60 percent free.

Here is some info on my board and CPU:

Board

Manufacturer:            Intel Corporation              

Model:                  D815EEA                        

Version:                  AAA10378-405          

BIOS Vendor:            Intel Corp.

BIOS Version:            EA81510A.86A.0031.P07.0009211842

BIOS Release Date:      09/21/2000

BIOS Properties:            Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

CPU

Manufacturer:            Intel

Family:                  Pentium

I tried the altvid switch again and I was able to play, well for at least 3 seconds before the game froze.  Same problem as before though it happened sooner.  The music always continues normally though.  Any new advice.

As I do not know what ingame graphical settings you use, try to set it to 800x600, all options on low and be sure that shadows is off.

The Ati video card, is that PCI or AGP ? If I found the right motherboard, there should be an AGP expansion slot.. Thing is, if you use an AGP add in video card, the onboard video card is automaticly disabled. If you use PCI, it's not..

Another thing you might want to do, is to look at the site in my signature and look at the General section. That section contains the resolutions to lockup issues, discovered (and worked) in the lockup thread..

I'm almost certain that your issue has to do with a setting/video card related..

The Video Card is PCI.  Inorder to get my computer loading with the new video card I simply went into the Bios and told the motherboard to look for a PCI card instead of a AGP card.  The only reason I have for not thinking it is a video card issue is that the same problem occurred under each card.  I am going to now go through your list of suggestions and see if any work.

No, I should have but just didn't think of it.  Though now I have a new problem.  I called technical support and they said to update my sound card drivers and so I went out to Soundblaster.com and downloaded the new drivers and now my sound wont work.  I tried then the older drivers that they had on their site but those dont work either.  This is really starting to bug me.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since I posted last but I think I've isolated the problem. For some reason, even when I have all my applications closed, besides explorer and systray, my memory slowly dwendles to nothing. I can watch it on dRAMtic and my memory slowly goes to 0 and I believe during the game my memory goes and therefore the game freezes. I don't know how to fix it though. Buying more ram doesn't help, I've tried that.