1 Question about Building Combat Tanks

Hi guys. Recently I'm creating a campaign and have one question. If I'm Ordos, and I capture a Harkonnen heavy factory. How can I make it to let it build Harkonnen combat tanks? Thanks!

By the way I just finished playing the War of the Landsraad campaign. It was amazing!! How brilliant the creator is! It's fantastic to play D2k in Red Alert terrain :D. And the Harkonnen terrain is it from StarCraft? Amzing job!!! Please accept my salute.

8 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Hi guys. Recently I'm creating a campaign and have one question. If I'm Ordos, and I capture a Harkonnen heavy factory. How can I make it to let it build Harkonnen combat tanks? Thanks!

By the way I just finished playing the War of the Landsraad campaign. It was amazing!! How brilliant the creator is! It's fantastic to play D2k in Red Alert terrain :D. And the Harkonnen terrain is it from StarCraft? Amzing job!!! Please accept my salute.

hey there mate ^^ aye, Feda's WotL campaign is cool

the Giedi Prime tileset? recolored Arrakis tileset, IIRC done by dato, though I did some minor work on it as well

regarding the Combat Tanks, that just requires adjusting their groups. here's how it works:xjkcvnhjkfdgkjhds.thumb.png.964687b4df7561dfc546903401067efc.png

five things are highlighted here: unit group, unit type, group assignment, owner side and prerequisite owner side

basically, the Combat Tanks share a single unit group. only one unit type belonging to a group is available, resulting in what you describe - other factions' Combat Tanks cannot be built. all you really have to do is add two new unit groups under the left column for the other two Combat Tanks, adjust prerequisite owner side to match owner side, and that's that. the new unit groups should be called COMBAT_TANK so the name shows up properly

if you want to edit the name, that requires text.uib editing. not difficult, just means you need another mod file is all

...oh yeah, and the Starport may only have a maximum of eight units, so you'd need to remove CTs entirely, use v2.1+ events to adjust Starport units, or settle on one sort of CT at the Starport

anyway, as for the difference between owner side and prerequisite owner side, AKA owner side needed, those are this: owner side, the section at the top next to the sidebar icon, controls which faction owns which unit type. it's what determines that Atreides get medium Combat Tanks, Harkonnen get heavy and Ordos get light. prerequisite owner side determines that any Heavy Factory can build any Combat Tank, hence being able to build Atreides Combat Tanks from Harkonnen Heavy Factories as long as you're playing a faction that owns medium CTs.

if you were to add new unit groups without changing prerequisite owner side, all factions would be able to build all Combat Tanks. in that scenario, even though Atreides and Fremen are the only owners of medium CTs, there's only one unit type assigned to that unit group, so that's the type built by any factions not ticked in the owner side section regardless. then, the unit type can be built from any factory.

that said, the downside of this is that you can't build med CTs out of hark heavies anymore, or some other related combination, but at least you can build different kinds of CTs :P

hope that helps!

12 hours ago, Fey said:

the Giedi Prime tileset? recolored Arrakis tileset, IIRC done by dato, though I did some minor work on it as well

regarding the Combat Tanks, that just requires adjusting their groups. here's how it works:xjkcvnhjkfdgkjhds.thumb.png.964687b4df7561dfc546903401067efc.png

five things are highlighted here: unit group, unit type, group assignment, owner side and prerequisite owner side

basically, the Combat Tanks share a single unit group. only one unit type belonging to a group is available, resulting in what you describe - other factions' Combat Tanks cannot be built. all you really have to do is add two new unit groups under the left column for the other two Combat Tanks, adjust prerequisite owner side to match owner side, and that's that. the new unit groups should be called COMBAT_TANK so the name shows up properly

if you want to edit the name, that requires text.uib editing. not difficult, just means you need another mod file is all

...oh yeah, and the Starport may only have a maximum of eight units, so you'd need to remove CTs entirely, use v2.1+ events to adjust Starport units, or settle on one sort of CT at the Starport

anyway, as for the difference between owner side and prerequisite owner side, AKA owner side needed, those are this: owner side, the section at the top next to the sidebar icon, controls which faction owns which unit type. it's what determines that Atreides get medium Combat Tanks, Harkonnen get heavy and Ordos get light. prerequisite owner side determines that any Heavy Factory can build any Combat Tank, hence being able to build Atreides Combat Tanks from Harkonnen Heavy Factories as long as you're playing a faction that owns medium CTs.

if you were to add new unit groups without changing prerequisite owner side, all factions would be able to build all Combat Tanks. in that scenario, even though Atreides and Fremen are the only owners of medium CTs, there's only one unit type assigned to that unit group, so that's the type built by any factions not ticked in the owner side section regardless. then, the unit type can be built from any factory.

that said, the downside of this is that you can't build med CTs out of hark heavies anymore, or some other related combination, but at least you can build different kinds of CTs :P

hope that helps!

Thanks a lot!!

WOTL definitely worths playing several times repetitively!

3 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Thanks a lot!!

WOTL definitely worths playing several times repetitively!

np <3 if ya got any more questions, feel free to poke me. I frequent the Landsraad server, pinned on this forum which Feda is also in. he's rather busy these days and unfamiliar with the newer features, but I'm sure he'd love to hear your compliments so I'll be sure to pass 'em along ^^

if ya check out the revamped Summers' Solstice sometime, I'd be curious watcha think of that one too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 10:43 AM, Fey said:

np ❤️ if ya got any more questions, feel free to poke me. I frequent the Landsraad server, pinned on this forum which Feda is also in. he's rather busy these days and unfamiliar with the newer features, but I'm sure he'd love to hear your compliments so I'll be sure to pass 'em along ^^

if ya check out the revamped Summers' Solstice sometime, I'd be curious watcha think of that one too ;)

Thank you!

When I'm debugging my work I have these poped out. How can I debug it? I keep changing events but it seems the same problem pops out at different times... Is it because there are too many units on the map?

0240421150011.png

0240421150043.png

On 4/10/2024 at 10:43 AM, Fey said:

np ❤️ if ya got any more questions, feel free to poke me. I frequent the Landsraad server, pinned on this forum which Feda is also in. he's rather busy these days and unfamiliar with the newer features, but I'm sure he'd love to hear your compliments so I'll be sure to pass 'em along ^^

“revamped Summers' Solstice“ Is it another campaign? Where can I find that one?

I'm still using my old laptop and running gruntmods edition. The other newer program cannot run on this laptop 😂

On 4/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, MattBaker said:

Thank you!

When I'm debugging my work I have these poped out. How can I debug it? I keep changing events but it seems the same problem pops out at different times... Is it because there are too many units on the map?

0240421150011.png

0240421150043.png

ah, I believe I encountered that error once while attempting to change the status of a unit attached to a Carryall. try removing all Carryalls and see if you run into it again, and if not, you might need to add a caveat to some events that units being airlifted are not a factor

that is, if you're using the latest editor and stuff. if you're still using oldschool Gruntmods and stuff... umm... I'm really not sure in that case ^^ I would need to have a look at the map myself to try to figure that out

On 4/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, MattBaker said:

“revamped Summers' Solstice“ Is it another campaign? Where can I find that one?

I'm still using my old laptop and running gruntmods edition. The other newer program cannot run on this laptop 😂

oh yeah sure, here ya go :P

but if you say the 'newer program' can't run on that laptop... are you referring to Dunemaster?

in any case, that campaign there does make use of new features, so... mission launcher 1.3 is linked in that thread, and you can find the latest patches in the OP of this thread here:

if it's unplayable, Nguyen gave every map a playthrough ^^ his videos are linked under the spoilers in the campaign's thread :)

17 hours ago, Fey said:

ah, I believe I encountered that error once while attempting to change the status of a unit attached to a Carryall. try removing all Carryalls and see if you run into it again, and if not, you might need to add a caveat to some events that units being airlifted are not a factor

that is, if you're using the latest editor and stuff. if you're still using oldschool Gruntmods and stuff... umm... I'm really not sure in that case ^^ I would need to have a look at the map myself to try to figure that out

oh yeah sure, here ya go :P

but if you say the 'newer program' can't run on that laptop... are you referring to Dunemaster?

in any case, that campaign there does make use of new features, so... mission launcher 1.3 is linked in that thread, and you can find the latest patches in the OP of this thread here:

if it's unplayable, Nguyen gave every map a playthrough ^^ his videos are linked under the spoilers in the campaign's thread :)

Later I'll switch to my new laptop but currently I still use the old one. It's not the problem of Dunemaster. My old laptop says if I want to run it I need another Microsoft software, but after I installed it the new software wouldn't run correctly :( 

Never mind later when I use the new laptop I'll see.

My campaign is almost complete except 1 map. I guess I'll run another few times to check if I can remove the bug. Thanks!

3 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Oh the new mission launcher has the same problem: it needs .NETFramework v4.8, which my old laptop cannot install correctly

oh darn :( well, hopefully the new one can when you switch to it :)

in developing new features we tried to take caution and not do anything too modern. even so, there are always the odd issues folks run into from time to time. 1998 game memes

22 hours ago, Fey said:

oh darn :( well, hopefully the new one can when you switch to it :)

in developing new features we tried to take caution and not do anything too modern. even so, there are always the odd issues folks run into from time to time. 1998 game memes

You guys are so great! Bringing this 1998 game to life! My salute!!

Now I'm gonna try my map one more time before I post it ... hopefully no bug...no bug....  :D 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:58 PM, Fey said:

hope that helps!

OK I tried several times but didn't succeed "( 

Never mind...

BTW how to convert music format to fit the game to play? .aud , right?

4 hours ago, MattBaker said:

OK I tried several times but didn't succeed "( 

Never mind...

BTW how to convert music format to fit the game to play? .aud , right?

ah yeah, you can convert stuff with xcc mixer. I've encountered issues converting longer stuff, like music tracks might be pitched funny? but brief sound clips work just fine for some reason. if you have Thel 'Vadam Flippy's campaigns, he converted some Emperor tracks. I dunno if they're included in his campaigns or anything, but you would see what I mean if you have those tracks he converted