video card issues....anyone welcome

Man did I screw up my computer. It now prompts me for some hardware question when I start the computer. I downloaded a gl file to get drivers for my S3 Savage 4 that would hopefully make Medal of Honor work...now I can't use any of the games ::)

I am considering video cards currently. I was wondering if a game says it works with, for example, geforce 2 or 3, if I got a geforce 4, would the game work with that? Also, I'm open to suggestions for video cards. A lot of the language and different features can be a little confusing and its easy to screw up. I have the AGP vs PCI thing figured out though. I am interested in a moderately priced (around 100 or so) card that can play any game out now...I guess I mean that has a lot of support. Somewhere around 64 mb should do fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Graphic cards, like all hardware are personal choices. Some poeple have better experiences with one compared to the other. The best thing you can do is to go to the following page:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html

and compare the test results on the bottom of that page.

What you need to remember is not to stare blind on the 128mb cards. 128mb doesn't mean that the cards are faster. If I'm not mistaken, the test results on that page will show you that. Another example is the following page where a LeadTek 128mb card is being tested. When you look at the results, you'll see that the Ti 500 (64mb) has not trouble keeping pace with the 128mb LeadTek:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1107-407-20057233.html?tag=st.co.1107-404-20057233.rev-perf.1107-407-20057233

What is important in your choice is the driver support that manufactureres offer. I think Nvidia has a lead in driver support, even for older cards. If you look at ATI, it seems they have a history of providing lesser driver support. In my opinion, you'd want to at least choose a card with Nvidia chipset. What brand and what tupe of card is up to you and just have a look at the tests and judge for yourself..

Good luck and if you need more information, feel free to post back !

Ok, that gives me a little something to consider. But what about the first part? I was wondering if a game that can use geforce 2 will also be able to use geforce 4 (suppose it actually states it works with 2 or 3). So, if I had a gf4, would it be able to play the game that used to work on gf2 or 3? Thanks.