Landscape textures display problem

Haggard

Well, here's a little bit of practice for you tech people....

Often times when I start a map, the landscape textures are all black, with some flickering of the correct textures every now and then when I scroll the screen. I've tried altering the level of landscape details with the same results. About 30-40% of my Emperor missions/skirmishes will load correctly with no texture problems whatsoever.

I'm currently running Emperor: BFD v1.09 on Windows 98, with a 800mhz PIII computer with an ATi 64mb RADEON 7000 AGP. I'm using DirectX 8.1 with my latest ATi drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Has this problem been there since the beginning ?

Could you attach your dxdiag output ?

Go to start => run and typ there dxdiag. Run the tests on the display and sound tab. When done, on the first tab there is a button "save all information". Save it on your desktop as txt file. When you reply here, attach the file to your reply.

* Try lowering your desktop settings to 1024x768 16 bit and default refresh rate.

* Ingame graphical settings to 800x600 and all options to medium or low. Make sure shadows is turned off.

The ATI drivers are from 2000, I doubt they are up to date (although they might be the latest). You state that you have a 64mb ATI card, but your output states otherwise (31-32mb)..

Make sure all background applications have been closed.

Try the above and let me know.

Hmm....that's definitely interesting.

My brother in law was the one who gave me the card (about 3 weeks ago or so) and he said it was 64mb and assured me that he installed the latest drivers. I'll have a talk with him about it...

And something else I forgot to mention. So far through the Atreides and Harkonnen campaigns, I could remedy the texture problem if I restart the map a few times or save and then load it a few times. However, when I get to the Atreidies mission that is after the mission where you conquer the Harkonnen stronghold (I assume it's on their homeworld since I'm getting payments, but I can't see the landscape to tell), that will not work no matter how many times I try. The same goes for the Harkonnen mission where you choose between Gunseng and Copec. Is there something about these missions that could be causing this, such as extra large maps and my computer can't handle it?

I'll try what you suggested and let you know.

Thanks.

I've ran EBFD on several systems, the lowest being a Pentium II 450Mhz, with 128mb ram and a 16mb S3 video card. All settings to the lowest and I didn't see any flaws in textures or anything. So even a 32mb video card shouldn't be the problem..

I know from experience that ATI has poor driver support, but I honestly do not know if that's the culprint of your problem.

I'll await your answer on the things I've suggested..