Custom mission crashes why?

maltebyte02

Hi all,

I made my own mission for house atreides with D2K Editor (Map and Mis) the mission is _A9V2

Now it all works fine just after some time playing the map it crashes the entire windows! im using win10 64bit, but i cant even task manager out of the game its stuck in a loop so i have to reboot the system.

I was hoping to share my files here so someone else can test it out and hopefully find the cause of the crash bug.

All help is Greatly Appreciated!! Hope you enjoy my custom mission! : ):)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iw3r3z94v70qysz/AAA2wBW87ygQYrw82DO_f5G1a?dl=0    << overwrite files in Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\Missions

On 21/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, maltebyte02 said:

Hi all,

I made my own mission for house atreides with D2K Editor (Map and Mis) the mission is _A9V2

Now it all works fine just after some time playing the map it crashes the entire windows! im using win10 64bit, but i cant even task manager out of the game its stuck in a loop so i have to reboot the system.

I was hoping to share my files here so someone else can test it out and hopefully find the cause of the crash bug.

All help is Greatly Appreciated!! Hope you enjoy my custom mission! : ):)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iw3r3z94v70qysz/AAA2wBW87ygQYrw82DO_f5G1a?dl=0    << overwrite files in Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\Missions

First, I want to tell you that isn't needed to overwrite the original maps. I mean, you can gave your own new map a custom name so you can preserve both the original westwood map and yours. Later with the mission launcher you can play your own map.

How many time you play the map before the game crash? You play at regular speed (real time) or max speed? This is to know exactly when I should expect the crash (10 min, 20 min, 1 hour...).

Edit:
Ok, I was about to playing it but since I had no idea what I was suppose to do I died, so I decided to run "full-test-mode" (revealing all the map so I can spy the AI and giving myself plenty of devastators so I can defend myself without paying attetion).

I Run the game over the internal 1 hour (30 min at max speed). I don't know if you are using gruntmod or it's a vanilla dune2000 version, but at least for now the game don't crash... yet.

The problem is: toooooo many stuff, and probably this is the reason the game is crashing for you. It's not the reinforcements, but the overall problem with the AI. Probably the game crash (in your case, since I was just being passive) because the AI can't move all the insanity, just look at this, look at this!

The Ai has too many stuff, so is going to have trouble navigating. I forced and attack and the Ordos even attacked too. The game didn't crashed in my case, but overall this map is most likely to crash for several people just because the map itself is unstable.

I decided to check the AI settings, so I can tell you a few things:
First, you made the Harkonnen to wait 75.000 ticks before the first attack. This is 50 minutes of game. That's too much for the Harkonnen to amass units. On top of that, his unit build rate is 50, so he is building fast.

Ordos has similar numbers, so they are in the same position.

Now, attackbuildingstreng and protect/defend-strengh: Well, I can't tell for sure, but I think 100 is the maximum. With 100 the AI will be already attacking with all the units available at the moment. I can not assure that will happen in this specific map because the insane amount of units they are, but I suggest to use 100.

Since you created lots of enemy carryall attacks, maybe your idea was "before 50 min, the player is attacked by the reinforcements I created, and after almost all of them are done, the Harkonnen should start attacking from his base". If that's you case, you still can maintain the 75.000 for the first initial attack, but then you need to change the unit build rate to a very high number, like 7500 (so the AI only build 1 unit every 5 minutes).

Then, you add another event called "set build rate" to trigger at timer = 75.000 (or a bit early), and using that you can change the unit build rate back to 50. This way the Ai is not going to amass too much, and when is the precise moment the AI will build at the pace you want.

Another thing. The morale of all the ais are at 50. In this case maybe you should increase to 100, or at least 80-90.

I'll explain how the morale affects the AI with this example: When your first 35 Harkonnen units attacks (the first reinforcements attacks) the player and died, the other two AI allied with this one (Emperor and smuggler-as-Harkonnen) will feel afraid to attack, because his ally died a lots of units.

And since the Harkonnen are constatly sending units (several reinforcements), those other 2 Ai will be afraid forever. Change the morale to 100 so that doesn't happen.

For that reason in my run they never attacked me, even when those 2 Ais should have attacked me at least three times.

Finally. I suggest to change the "max attack unit groups" to a only 1 digit. When you select your units and press "control + 1" you are creating 1 group. You only can have 10 groups at max, and it's the same to the Ai. It's possible that this don't even affect the Ai, but just in case I suggest to place another number, you can try with 5 or 9 or whaever, but not 200 since the game is not supposed to work that way.

And that's it. Try to make the Ai to attack more often instead just amassing units and maybe you game no longer crash.

Also, I need to point that I was being very passibe. I deployed the MCV, an extra ref, outpost, heavy factory and the starport, but I didn't move to a new location to be able to build ix or the extra factories you suggest during mid-game, so it's possible that that was the reason the game is not crashing (yet).

Overall. My suggestions is to reduce the attack-groups, increasing morale to I'll said 100 for the lessers Ais (since Harkonnen are constatly attacking, so the Emperor/smugglers ones don't get affected), and reducing the unit build rate of all the ais to a very slow pace and then (could be at timer 75.000 or early, but not too early) returning the unit build rate to the 50 you wanted in the first place.

Edited by Cm_blast