Went looking for the remains of shortline railroads

Found the Virginia & Truckee Railroad was expanding.

Looks like they had and was using the steamer from the McCloud Railroad. The McCloud pulled up rail about two years ago .

I did find a McCloud caboose still sitting on two rails on the last of the railroad roadbed in McCloud. It was surrounded by trailer houses and looked to be restored.

I read that there was still a siding full of old cars in the woods near the upper end of the line.

The V & T was expanding track past Carson City and rebuilding the freight building near Gold City . It looked like they were rebuilding a turntable near Virginia city.

There was a number of silver and gold mines in operation

I looked for the narrow gauge 2-6-0 that was in the park in Carson City; But I couldn't find it.

There is no sign of the railroad that once took people to Lake Tahoe. It has been gone for a long time.

There is little sign of the Southern Pacific narrow gauge that was once the Carson & Colorado railroad. All of what remains is in the museum at Laws CA.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very disappointing to see, or not to see, roadbeds of previous short line railroads.. I have covered a considerable part of the country from the Midwest to the Pacific. What I have found were "bike trails', hiking trails, and some touring roads. But I have mostly seen completely abandoned road beds, with a number of the bridges nearly deteriorated into nature.

Now I live in CO, and have some literature on "few" of the previous railroads, which served the mines and adjacent towns and cities. I hope to some day to try an locate them, and make a day of a tour. Most all are gravel, so I can assume that my vehicle will have some pits in the body.

In one of the booklets which are dedicated to the Cripple Creek area, it shows an emence number of railroads, but a person would have to go to its County Seat for the maps.

We do have a Hwy which was once used from Colo.Spgs via Manitou and Divide to the mines in Cripple Creek. Some of which are still active. I do see that the Depot in Divide is being restored.

There is a lot of history of the area pertaining to the towns and rail service which was used. It will just take some time to do some further research for the basis.