Playing the Elephants of Africa #4 map

Gwizz

This map Elephants of Africa #4 was made so I could control a lot of AI companies.

On this map merging an AI could be dangerous to your net worth.  Controlling them is the key word here.

While I'm busy working on my house, I do take breaks to play RT2.  

On elephants of Africa #4, I choose to charter with the French Territory nations.  

My reason was France had a goodly amount of cargoes to haul.  

And from experience the AIs often start up in other territories.

To start, I took out a bond and issued stocks.  Then I sold some of my company stock, but kept control.

next I extended track for my East African RR into a free zone on the West coast.  Placed a couple of stations without connecting them with track for use later as drop stations for an AI RR to connect to.  

I had three other stations with track on my main line.  Routed 2 of my 4 trains.  Still on pause.

I started another RR.  It would take a while for my started AI to get permission to build.

So, I then started operations for a short time until the AI was able to build.  

I had a steel mill at my middle station and the AI would haul coal and milk to both of the drop stations.

I ran the map until December.  maintained more than 2 million in cash.  Five AI companies started up.  One started very strong and I bought controlling stock in it.  Started the map,  With my purchased the stock split 3 for 1 at the end of the first year.  

I issued bonds and stock for my railroad and the AI that I had started early, and the one I had taken control of.

I then ran the map.

Since I now had cargo at the drop stations.  I built track to these stations and to one large town beyond.

I routed my last two locos from the drop stations.  I planned to change their routes later in the year.

Using the AI RR that I took control of, I built into what would be forbidden territory to collect iron for my steel mill.  Its' home track was far from my track, so I also strengthen its' ability at home to make a profit.

all trains on its' new track was routed to delivered Iron directly to the steel mill and run empty back to the iron mines.  (I normally only haul cargo with a value of 35K or more on my RR so my coal runs would be temperary)

The AI would in time delivered coal to the steel mill.  Since it had a shorter distance to travel, I waited on routing these trains.  I hauled the milk from my drop station since it has a modified higher value cargo on this map and I hauled a few other cargoes from the drop stations to where there was a demand.

I save fairly often.  Always at the end of the year.  

I ran year two 3 times.  Twice I goofed and built track into forbidden territory.  I could have bulldozed the misplace track since it was built on pause; but, choose instead to pull up my end of the first year game instead and re-play the second year.

I use different managers as much as possible to save on expenses.  I will some times take control of an AI just to fire its manger so I can hire him.  I hand picked the managers in the editor when I modified this map.

I'm now on the third re-start of the second year.  On pause, I took control of another AI.  changed its' name to a logging RR since it has 4 near by logging companies and has one saw mill on its line.  I was able to connect it to a paper company on another AI RR that has built on a route that I want,merge in a free territory.  With the AI Dropping pulp at the other AI mill will cause the this other AI to gain wealth.  So, I will need to take control of it soon.

I returned to my RR and saved the game changes.

Now I need to work on my real house;  I will continue game play later today, if all goes well.

Been so busy I haven't played much.

Year 3:  the two coasts are connected.

Have at different times controlled 8 AI railroads.  Connecting most to my stations and having them deliver demand cargo to my industries.  I mostly haul the high value cargo.  Two AIs were too far away so I merged one with the other and created one large AI RR.  Both are in free territory and I hope to connect to them later.   I only keep a controlling interest in one AI.  This AI has the manager that reduces the price of stocks.  When I buy stock I first take control to make use of the stock discount.

I also used another AI to merge another AI.  I merged two AIs to my railroad.  These chairmen each started another AI RR.

The more AI starts I get the better my chance for a win.  

I made one mistake when I restarted the game and built my track into restricted territory thinking was using an AI to build this track.  I receive a violation warning and was fined.  Having just re-started the game from the day before, I restarted again and used the AI to build the track.  I guess I'm a little bit of a cheat in this respect.  It was my intention to build with the AI track.  So I took my case to the German commander and he let me rebuild the track.  :-\    

I gave two or three cargo backhauls to some of the AI trains to keep them alive.  Therefore I didn't make as much profit as I have on other plays.   I'm coming up on a loco change. So I need to start saving dollars.  I have had one crash and 2 breakdowns.   For once I have run all my trains with enough sand and water.

Maybe tomorrow I will play another two years.  I have a number of trains on long hauls with high value cargo.  I need to reduce my debt load.  I don't have a printing press to help in doing this.   ::)

Completed 5 years.

Used the profits from my stock manager's RR to connect to the two, now merged as one AI running north of Egypt.  This AI RR had been holding it own, making profit.  It was expensive to take over.  a big move to again control its' stock just to re-route its' trains to some of my stations.  I used its' cash to build it two more stations and buy 5 more locomotives to help on the long hauls to my drop stations.  This AI didn't have enough money that I could use it to have it buy its' stock back and allow me to sell its' stock at a profit.  I took a loss.  >:(

I was now about 50% in margin.  I merged one of the last two AIs that was save to own.

I took control of the newest AI with a large bridge which would be used to rob one of my big stations.  I used its' money to build track part way around the bay  I completed the connection with my track to my big station.

I re-routed all its' trains to drop cargo at my big station.  Its' trains now returned empty.  I bulldozed some of Its' track the AI had in fore bidden territory.  It should loose money and be easy to merge later.

I re-built and moved some track to reduce a grade near a station.  This track had a major traffic jam and by using a crossing over the corners of the squares I was able to reduce most of the congestion.

I may later also bulldoze a station and some track that the Egypt 2 to 1 RR has in fore bidden territory so it can become merge-able.  It also has oil wells that I can use.

I re-routed some trains on my, Can't Merge RRs.  On one I had to first control its stock and forgot to take control of my AI Stock Railroad discount.  So I again took a bit of a loss doing this.  I did remove the haul back cargos I had given them.  Their locos now return empty.  Doing this will help my profit margin; but will also hurt theirs.  Taking away some of their profits may be a mistake.  But in typical government form I'm making them pay for my mistake.  ;D

Well these last 2 years put me in a dangerous situation.  I have maxed out my bonds.  Of the two possible RR that I may merge, both have debt.  If I merge them I will accrue permanent debt that I can't pay off. 

It is time to re-place some of my Locomotives.  I bought 5 Electric 1020s to pull cargo up my steepest hills and electrified this track.  This used up the last of my cash.

Now I has 38 locomotives.  Many of them on good long profitable routes.  The plan is, barring a depression, to replace the locomotives with the greatest breakdown rates as profit comes in.

More later unless the rain stops and I have to go back to work in real life.  8)

Well I completed 12 years with an economy almost as bad as our worlds economy.

I sold bonds and merged AIs that were not in violation of their charter.

My railroad reached $13 million in bond debts with 100 locomotives.  

My best AI RR merged the other AIs that were without a charter.

This best AI has a bond dept of 18 million with 110 locomotives.

(I wonder if this game can go to trillions in debt)  I doubt it.  I was able to hit a Billion in positive dollars on my billionaires map.

I used the merging as a method of reducing my margin debt I was still thinking I had a chance at that point.

But, 4 years of a poor economy and my cash is now at about a minus 8 million.

My best and most profitable AI had about a minus 2.7 million in cash.

I even had a few of my newest locos crashing.

The economic down turn together with the replacement of old locomotives too early had used up my cash reserve.  The bad economy sunk me to a point that I can't recover from.

I did make it through the Loco boycott and was able to buy a few 2-8-2 locos before the economy went south.

These locos did not crash.

I did violate my charter with track placement and without money I was unable to fix the problem.

So I was fined each month for about 2 years.  It was a minor sum compared to the interest I was paying.

This was the toughest startup I have had on this map.  I've never had two depressions back to back before.

If I hadn't extended so far and so fast I might have weathered this storm.

I did learn, too late, that the long straight tracks in the desert did allow for fast running and increased profit.

So, it is time to retreat and start again.

Having the 2-8-2 and the Pacific 4-6-2, I wanted to enjoy these two locos for a while more.

So I used the cheat code to give me a loan so I could buy more of these locos.

I plan to use the pacific with its' speed on the flat routes and the 2-8-2 with its power on the routes with grades. 

Replaced about 40% of my locos, Stopped or scraped some of the older locos and fixed some areas of congestion.  I also did about the same with my best AI. 

Started the map and began changing the route of locos as they made station stops.

Made three route changes and what do you know, the game went into a deep depression.

Well, the cheat code will give me all the money I need, so I will play on for a while and enjoy some building.

No,  there is no economy changes programed by me.  These were normally random generated by the game.

If I could predict these economy changes in real life I could become a millionare.  Maybe in modern times even a Trillionare under the new rules and lack of freedom we now live under.  I could buy my freedom as needed  ::) 

Well,  I started the map again for another try at trying to beating the time of my best win record.

This time after looking over the map, I choose to charter with England.  It had some good industry placements.

Since It also had the bridge manager I used him to build 5 bridges. and added 3 more stations.

I added loco service, hotels etc. where needed and I sold a bond to complete the job.

I routed 2 of my 4 locos to service my only two big cities that had track. 

My Plan was:

to sell some of my stock and take and have control of two or 3 railroads the first year.

I started an AI railroad and since it had a loco manager, I use it to buy 20 locos and build a few stations in charter or free territories to block other AIs from taking these towns.  Since this small RR might build its own track, I sold its' bond then used up all of its' money.

I took control of my East African Railroad and ran the game until my two locos had made some money to build some track where I could route my last two locos.  There was a steep hill in the way so this track wouldn't connect with the other track but headed in the right direction for a later build.  With enough money I will use a bit of track stitching to lower the hill. 

The first AI started on its own and it had the stock discount manager.  I went into margin and took control.

It didn't have much cash, so I sold its bond and had the AI buy back its' own stock.  This allowed me to sell some of its' stock and reduce my margin a bit.

I ran the map until Dec.  made enough money to expand down the West coast with two more stations.  Held off spending any money the last 4 months of the year so I could maintain positive cash flow and earn more bonds to sell.  More AIs had started and three were about to have a stock split.  Each was making money.  So,  I took control of the AI with the stock manager and bought controlling stock in these 3 AI railroads.  Went back to my RR to see how my finances were looking.  I'm now deep into margin but the majority of the stock I own is below market value so It is a good risk.  The stock manager allowed me to control that last AI and keep risk low.

I saved the game until tomorrow.

My Plan for tomorrow is.

Merge with the AI railroad with the 20 locomotives if I have enough bond money. 

This will leave the AI with the Stock Manager listed under my railroad.  As long as I keep control of this AI I can save on buying stock by first taking control of it even if it has no money or is deep in debt.  I won't help it to make money.  But will route it two locos correctly so it won't go belly up.  I'll just keep it poor.

I will then, on pause, route the other AI railroads to deliver only one demand cargo on its own section of track per loco to one of my stations.

I have had a problem when I use the AI to haul 2 or more different cargos.  It sometimes changes the cargo it hauls and also changes to crossed flags which causes the drop cargo to be sold.  This defeats my orders to make me rich.  ::)

I didn't have much time to play the Elephants of Africa today.

I did take it 8 more months to August.

I merged the AI that has 20 locos.

For the three other AIs I control:  One more then I thought I would control.

two would violate a contract so I used #1 to send more cargo to my stations.

#2 was used to stitch the mountain creating a low level cut.  I bulldozed this special track.

I sold all of the stock in these two railroads.  Still have too much negative margin.

The strongest  AI would be in compliance with charter rules.  So I used its' track to extend my railroad.

I was short about 5 or 6 cell from building track through the cut to connect the two parts of my RR.

Started the map to complete the last 4 months in year 2.

Sept.  full blown Recessions started.  >:(

Went into editor to see if there was an event that was causing these economic downturns.

There was not, just a function of the random generater I guess.

It sure doesn't like me on this map.

well it is raining but warmer so I need to do some painting today.

Still painting but did spend a little time playing the map.

Went back to a saved game and just did some testing and building.  No recession this time.  Just played until the end of the year.

For the testing, I changed my tactics a bit.   The AIs were more dependable of I used a small station and one loco to supply a single supply cargo to one of my stations that demanded that cargo.  This way the AI had no other cargo to haul.  The locos always returns empty.  I then only hauled the higher priced cargo produced.  I stopped letting the AI haul un-demanded cargo to my station for me to haul to a demand station.  I also limited the cars that the AI hauled to 2 or 3 max.  This made them faster in delivering cargo and didn't overload my trains so my trains could haul some other cargos as well.  Where two or more AI trains used the same track, I double tracked this common line.  I also was more picky which cargo an AI hauled.  I only picked cargo I could make a good profit delivering with my RR.

Since all AI trains were paid for all the cargo they delivered, they had a much better chance at making a profit and I had less of a chance to merge them.  About the only time I would now merge is when I needed the trackage rights, a city or an industry in that city for my RR.

It stopped raining this morning, at least until later today.  For the rest of the week we have a line up of storms coming.  Thankfully, they are not producing the white stuff at my elevation.   No Problem; I'm working inside.    

Besides running my own RR when I'm not on pause, I control 4 AIs only on pause.

The AI with the stock manager is doing a little better than staying even.

It has only three locos that serve it own two cities.  I use its track with some of my trains that only pass through these two cities.  They do not stop at either station.  This RR doesn't service my RR.  It exists only to give me use of the stock manager.

I have two large AI that service my RR.  One has 49 locos that carry mixed cargo, not all demanded at my stations and is flushed with over 2 million in cash.

The 3rd AI has about 25 locos and is flushed with over 4 million in cash.

This AI only delivers the required cargo to my demand stations from single industries and returns empty for more cargo.  Both AIs use some of my track the 3rd uses the least of my track cells.  After one year neither bought extra locos.

The 4th AI is not paying its' own way and is a bit in debt.  It had 10 locos but after a year it had bought 7 more locos.

It had the longest distance to deliver cargo to my stations, namely Iron and oil.

All of its trains used its' own mainline coming off branch lines serving single industries.  some had two locos picking up cargo.  It used only a bit of my track to serve two of my major cities at one port area.  I didn't leave it with enough locos to haul all of the cargo a long distance.

Since I messed up on this map, forgetting to use the stock manager, place water and sand correctly and twice build track with the wrong railroad, I'm planning to start again. 

I may play test this map a bit more, trying different ideas, before restarting.

One last comment on the Africa Elephant Map.

Another process, I use with an AI when I don't plan on keeping control of it, is to bulldozer the AI's stations and reroute its locomotives from one of its' supply stations to my demand station.  I do this when to keep control means I remain too deep in margin.  I try to stay no more then 30% in margin so a recession or depression will be unlikely to sink me to a point where I would become unrecoverable.

I deleted this map and started a map of the Western US.  Since it was raining I had spent some time putting my office back together and unpacking some Cds.  I found the old US map that I had modifies in the past.  I Completed a few more changes for this new map and after completing my unpacking, I plan to do the same thing I did on the  Elephant map.  I didn't add forbidden territories since this part of history only happened on a small scale in the US.   

The difference now is I know where the cities are in the US.  I had a hard time finding cities on the African map when I did micro-manage.