President Pelosi

FoxNews just ran a report that it's possible (but not all that likely) that this election could end up in an Electoral College tie at 269 - 269.

In that event, by the XII Amendment, the House elects the President, with each state having one vote.  Twenty-seven states have a majority of Democrates in the House, so they would likely elect Barack Obama.  The Senate elects the Vice President, with each Senator having one vote.  If the two Independents vote Republican (both are supporting McCain for President), there would be a 50 - 50 tie.  The President of the Senate, Vice President Cheney, would cast the deciding vote, electing Sarah Palin as Vice President.  Wouldn't that be an interesting combination?

It gets even more interesting.  If you thought Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004 were full of lawsuits, there would likely be lawsuits in all 50 states about the outcome if it was even close.  In that event, assuming neither the Electoral College nor the Congress had elected a President or a Vice President by Inauguration Day, the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, would become acting President until the election was resolved.  The position of Vice President would remain open.

Talk about exciting.  Given that the last several elections have been close in Electoral College votes, the possibility cannot be discounted, and it has happened before in US history.

I tell ya'. If Florida screws up again, I'm going down there with a big saw and start cutting on the dotted line from the Atlantic all the way to the Gulf coast.... then I'm going to give a BIG push!  ;D We have to have faith that the system works so the process can't fail. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with how things went in either 2000 or 2004. I don't want the elections to be that close ever again.