Nowreck cheat / breakdown info for TSC versions

Just came across this for ver. 1.53 in a file called History2.txt included with the ver. 1.56 patch download.

Sorry for not posting this in an off-topic thread. I'm such a maverick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"C) Reduced train breakdown/wreck frequencies as follows.  After 1920 breakdown frequency is

decreased 15%, and the odds that a breakdown is in fact a wreck are also decreased 15%.  After 1970,

each chance is reduced another 15%.  Overall, this means less breakdowns and a lot less wreckes for the

modern trains.

"D) Added a cheat - hit <TAB>, then type nowreck to eliminate train wreckes altogether.  You can also

pass this in as the command line option /nowreck.  Example:

"C:\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon II - TSC\RT2_TSC.EXE" /nowreck

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On the contrary, I feel it makes the game a lot more playable. I could tolerate the occasional breakdown if they had a sensible frequency and duration, but wrecks happen WAAAYY too often, and you get no chance to see exactly what train crashed to know what engine you need to buy to replace it with. As if that wasn't bad enough, when you replace an old train, the replacement typically needs to be replaced IMMEDIATELY 2 or 3 times to get its breakdown chance down to the correct level - for some reason, we're buying old trains at new-train prices.

I once got a map to a point that, even with a lot of GG1's (like 100) running about, I was getting multiple breakdowns per year, and a crash about every other year. A real PITA if you're trying for a long-duration map.

So I turn that off, and heartily recommend it to all who want to play a game about economics and drawing lines, and not one about bug-ridden crash-code.