New Version: Chicago's Railroads II

Gwizz

I finally got my computer to look at the external hard drive on the other computer and I was able to pull up the new version of the Chicago's Railroads Map.  (Chicago's Railroads II)

I talked about this new version of the map about 2 or 3 days ago on another thread.

On the original map, it was too easy to expand the Chicago railway.  Expanding increased micro-management. 

The map was designed for the player to build AI railroads that served the Chicago railroad.  Most of the game time is spent on pause, building these AI railroads. For this reason, I also reduced to maps time limit from 25 years to 10 years.  I reduced the number of track cells that could be earned by the Chicago railroad.  It is still possible to have an AI RR build your track and for you to merge that AI to expand you railroad.  I do this but I don't use this AI to build stations. I don't want to merge small stations.  The more small stations I add the more micro-management I get.  It is possible to Pre-program your own trains so you can let them run to large stations.  Some may wait for cargo, but on this map that is OK.  I also use the AIs to only buy locos and then I merge them. Each time I merge AN AI, 90% of the time that chairman starts another RR. for me to use. (exploit) A real tycoon delegates the low cost hauls to other AI railroads, saving the more profitable hauls for himself. 

When I run the map I like to watch the trains run.  My plans are to hook up another monitor to expand my view. If I only run 14 locos I could put that screen on the 2nd screen

I made a few other changes to the map as stated on the other thread.

• 1 month later...

I took the Chicago's Railroads II and in the editor reduced the economy from a level of 100% to 60%.  This reduces the number of industries and houses that start with the map.  I'm just playing for fun, but this change should make it harder to reach a Gold win

I called this version, "Chicago"s Railroads III"

This made for a very different style of play.

I'm not going to post this map since it is so easy to make this change in the editor for anyone wishing to try this change to gain more challenge.