Civil War Map

Gwizz

I was play testing this RT2 Civil War Map when beta testing started for RT3.

Even though I had play tested it many times, I think I was going to add something more so I shelved it.  It has been collecting dust for a long time.  I don't remember what I was going to add to complete it or if there was still bugs to fix. I will be playing it as time permits and see if It does need more work.  My time now is so full I may not complete it and since I have so many hours in making this map, I am posting it as a beta map.   

There is a lot of history in this map of the American Civil War, a 3.5 year war starting in. 1861.  The map starts in 1862 when the North nationalized a few railroads and you will be running the US Military Railroad and control other Northern Railroads.  Unlike most of my maps, this map does have a number of restrictions.  Remember you may have hauls that will require almost 3 years to complete.  So plan ahead.  There will be many dialogs to help you with this.

Should you take on this assignment as the new commander of the US Military Railroad, spend some time looking over the map and re-routing the 100 US Military trains where needed.  You will need to haul more cargo than the South to win and you have fewer places to haul to than the South has.  There are of course a few other things to accomplish for a win.

Let me know if you run into any problems.   

I took some time and looked at the map in the editor.  One change I did make was to remove the restriction for building track.  The dialogs still says no track building.  But you can build track on the map I posted.

I remember now what my plans were to allow a player to choose sides, North or South.  This choice was not added to the map I posted. 

Restrictions: No Bonds or stock market activities. (The US Military uses tax dollars) No bull dozing (Although I may have removed the bull dozing restriction when I allowed track building and allowed bulldozing or maybe not)  No buying of locmotives using the normal method.  Each month the Northern Government pays the railroad $400K but only if the railroad is low in funds.  Generally The US Military Railroad doesn't need to make a profit; but it helps if you do.  While the US Military railroad has taken control of 100 locomotives, it also has about 100 on order that need payment.  By buying into a territory you free up a few locos if the territory has a loco builder within it.  You also can pay to merge any of the 7 railroads that you have control of in the North.  These two activies require more dollars than the government gives you.  You should be able to win without merging any of the 7 RRs.  You do control what they haul and drop shipping can be used.  I don't remember if you control Canadian Rail or not. Canada does not allow your military trains in canada for a while, but becomes more supportive in time as it happened in the real war.

There are 7 cars that are counted as required hauls.  They are: 1. Troops hauled in passenger cars, 

2. Black power hauled in Alcohol cars. (The game doesn't allow these specific cars in 1862) 

3. Steel cars for rails,  4. Lumber cars for ties and bridge timbers.  5.  Goods cars for Supplies and hay, 

6.  Cattle car for haulling cattle and horses,  and food cars.  (I removed the hospital cars from the game.  (It was too hard to event this activity)

There are 3 staging areas that receive the 7 cargo type deliveries, then these supplies are moved by wagon to forward positions.

The Hooker event is the big event that requires two trains and a boat trip and almost 3 years to complete on this 3.5 year map.  In real life this troop movement took General Hooker about 8 days to complete considered impossible by the Southern generals.  The South did use the Railroads for Troop movement but the different rail gauges and the fact that the Southern generals were not allowed to control the railroads made these activies in the South less successful.   

The start up of this game may seem overwhelming.  At the start I normally only check the hauls of the US Military railroad.  Most of the trains on the 7 AI railroads that you can also control have the trains already running and hauling cargo.  I don't try to reroute AI trains unless they have access to cargo I need,  Then I will re-route some trains and dropship to my stations.

If I think of anything else about this map I will post it.  I spent months working on this Civil War Map more time than on any other map I have made. 

I played for 1 year.  Found some bugs in the status reports.

I removed the map and may post it later when I have more time to work on it.

It may simply be too hard a map with way too much micro-management.

I had it posted above,  but removed it. 

When The game started my speed while still on pause for Jan. 1862 no train had yet moved, showed an average speed of 142 MPH.   At the end of the first year the status report said I had over 2200 loads of goods delivered.  I may have delivered 22. 

It has been about 3 years since I worked on this map. I need to spend more time with it before I repost it or remember where I left off.  I thought it was playable when I selved it.  But I was continuely changing things as I was testing the map and must have made a number of changes that I forgot about that now need to be de-buged.

With the good weather I am now working on my Grand scale layout.  One of the cement supports leading to the long bridge sank a few inches into a muskrats nest causing the track to dip.  I filled that hole.  Now I need to fix the dip.  I have been filling mole holes and I drop my shovel in one.  I had to get a ladder to get it out.    ::)