LEVEL 16 RRT 2

I'm a frustrated woman who keeps trying to complete level 16 Tycoon 2, no matter what I do, no matter how many hours I stay glued to the screen, nothing seems to work.  I've run lines down to Melbourne and one from Sydney to Ipswich and Brisbane, and aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

If anyone has any tips on how to get this one done, I'd be really really grateful.  I wouldn't mind, but this is the 2nd time of playing the game, and goodness knows how on earth I must have completed this level the first time around.

But I'll tell you one thing, I'm really intrigued with the topics and replies that you have all been sharing.  Thanks for that.

Does aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh signify frustration in the UK then? lol

Is it level 15 (Which way to the coast) or level 17 (Dilemma down under) that you are playing? My guess is 15.

What difficulty level and choice option have you selected?

Do you have a saved game you can post here?

What is your RT2 version # in lower left corner of your opening screen?

Hiya

Thanks for looking at the dilemma.  I have just been checking the game and it is level 17 - Dilemma Down Under which I am trying to do.  I have just reworked the scenario (again after many again and agains) sending goods from Broken Hill down to Melbourne, buying the local factory and sheep farms around Broken Hill.

I'm not sure which RRT I am using as no number comes up on the bottom - just checked the case and there's nowt (broad Lancashire/Yorkshire for nothing) there either, but I think that I have it on a hard setting, I enjoy a challenge.  The object of the game is to achieve $1m for 3 years on the run, gold by 1972, silver I think by 1977.

Yes, I guess aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh does mean frustration - I have an antidote for it but it involves making a human size hamster wheel for me to run around in!  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh about sums it all up!

I've just tried to send a map to you, but there was an error in sending it - sorry.

But thanks again

Take care

Brenda

I'm guessing you're running the original RRT2, so make sure you have the 1.05 patch and/or the fixed version of the scenario and try again. Both are available from the RT2 opening page at this site. The original version may require 4 years instead of 3 years of >= $1M to win, possibly among other things.

To upload a saved game, put it in a zip file first and you should have no problems attaching it to your post since GAM and GM2 files are not accepted.

I must say I'm at a loss without seeing your game as I tried the scenario on hard with choice #1 I think. I had incomes of 218, 670, 1887, 1806, 5715 in the first 5 years. Granted I got Oakes and 4 bonds to start, but even without that, it wouldn't take much longer to win. You can still get a pretty decent start with 1 bond and a stock issue.

A nice balance of population and industry in your 3 opening cities is helpful and maybe worth a restart if you like. I had 7,5,5 houses as well as a T&D in Broken Hill. I got Oakes within about 3 manager tries. I started by connecting Milparinka, then Ivanhoe, and hauling wool, bauxite and pass/mail. Once Milpar and Ivanho were connected I hauled the pass and mail between and didn't waste them by hauling into Brok Hill. But I did haul pass and mail out of there. But for other cargos, shorter hauls are just fine.

Quick development of textiles and aluminum helped, as did pass traffic, although it died out in the 5th year, so hauling other cargos becomes important after that.

I was able to take out enough additional bonds 1/59 to lay double track into Newcastle and almost immediately after into Sydney, then get trains going cross-country between those 2 cities and Milparinka, Broken Hill and Ivanhoe, as well as a train hauling wool and iron from Newcastle to Sydney. I forgot to get the track-laying manager when I did this but it didn't matter. I rerouted or stopped several cross-country trains during 1960 to make sure my 1961 income would be high enough, but pretty much just let the shorter haul cargo trains run.

I can't give you a game to look at since mine are GM2's and yours are GAM's, but a screenshot converted to a gif image is attached.

post-30-13030715791237_thumb.gif

• 3 months later...

Well, this is an old thread, but as I played this game last night (I'm currently working my way through the original campaign just to get my chops back) I could contribute with some hints:

1. You don't have to use the track and buildings you are given at start-up. If you don't have access to a Tool&Die, or if the population int the cities in the neighborhood is to low, go directly to the more densly populated areas (for example around Sidney). Build track connected to the competitor track and put large stations in Sidney and Newcastle.

2. Get into freight as soon as possible. Income from passengers will decline, and are sensitive to the economical climate.

When you've run passengers for a year or two, expand to resources nearby to build get some freight going (there should be possible to have som full circle rounds (iron&coal->steel->goods->city and chemicals -> fertilizer -> grain -> (cattle) -> food -> city). If you do utilize the track given at start-up, you should run wool->goods->city and bauxite->aluminum->goods->city.

3. Expand quickly and buy up lucrative industries to ensure good profits even when the economy goes sour.

4. Deliver to cities served by your competitors by placing stations close to their stations.

Yesterday I reached the gold (on hard) in 1964 in the first year of a recession. I never touched the track given at start-up.

• 2 months later...

Last poster has it right - plop big stations at Newcastle and Sydney, undermine the rr that is there, take all you can get.  Extend to Canberra at some point.  With the income you can then work the western end of things.  Bulldoze most of the existing track, it's worthless.  Keep the bridge and straight section to Broken Hill, get rid of the line to Mildura and the scraps.  Extend your own line to Ivanhoe, Milparinka, etc.  Eminently winnable scenario, just have to think outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

ULFSon:  Could this the original ULF.

Glad to see you are back into the game again.

Right, I'm the original Ulf .

It's fun that there still are some fans of the game left.

Haven't played much after the holidays.

Too much work (and the little gaming time a have have been spent on testing Civ IV)

/Ulf