Map of Wales

Kittle

Okay, I really want to create a map of South Wales (The one in the UK, not New South Wales in Australia), the true birthplace of the railways, but I can't for the life of me get a PCX file of South Wales to make the map with. Can anybody help me track one down please?

I'm looking specifically for a map that covers from just past Swansea in the west to Newport in the east and from Brecon in the north to Barry Island on the south coast.

Hope someone can help.

Emma

Not your average train lover.

That was the first thing I tried, but I can't get GeoVu to work on my computer. When I try to install the program it tells me that the program is not compatable with Windows. Plus the website I got it off says that GeoVu is no longer supported... whatever that means.

That was the first thing I tried, but I can't get GeoVu to work on my computer. When I try to install the program it tells me that the program is not compatable with Windows. Plus the website I got it off says that GeoVu is no longer supported... whatever that means.

It's a very old application.  Win3.1 from the looks of it.  If you're running WinXP try using compatibility mode.  Just right-click on the Geovu executible, goto Properities --> Compatibility tab and select Win98 or Win95.

I'm still using Win98 and I haven't had any problems.

--Ray.

It's a very old application.  Win3.1 from the looks of it.  If you're running WinXP try using compatibility mode.  Just right-click on the Geovu executible, goto Properities --> Compatibility tab and select Win98 or Win95.

I'm still using Win98 and I haven't had any problems.

--Ray.

I just DL-ed and installed Geovu on my work pc.  It's WinXP Professional.  Geovu worked correctly so there must be something else wrong.

--Ray.

It must be something I'm doing wrong then. It still refuses to install the program no matter what I do. This is vexing. >_<

Maybe is something simple.......  AIR, You download an executable archive from NOAA (ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/Solid_Earth/Access_Tools/GeoVu/PC/gvinstal.exe) and unpack it into a directory and just run setup.exe.  If it's installed, uninstall it and redownload it and try again.  Maybe the install got honked.

--Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've been trying to make it work for ages and I still can't even get the wretched thing to install. >_<

Would someone be able to make the .pcx for me please? I'm looking for an area from 53.60 in the North to 51.60 in the South and from -5.60 in the West to -2.15 in the East. My inability to do this is kind of annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Kittle,

Sorry, life pulled me away from RT2.  I can download that geo information for you but I think we can get your PC working.  Try this.....I have attached a .zip file of the Geovu install files.  Just unzip it into a temp folder and double-click setup.exe.  This will install Geovu.  When it's done, you should have an open folder with a Geovu shortcut.  Double-click the shortcut and see if Geovu runs.

I'll download the geo information and attach it to the next posting.

--Ray.

Geovu.zip

Kittle,

Here's the geo data that you ask for.  It's a zipped pcx file that's ready to import into RT2.  I noticed that some of southern Wales seemed to be cut off.  This isn't uncommon pcx files from Geovu.  Let me know if you need a different set of coordinates downloaded and I'll help you out.

--Ray.

Wales1.zip