Netflix in Canada now

Andrew

So apparently for $8 a month you get unlimited viewing of their selection.

http://www.netflix.ca/

Any thoughts? Might be nice to get. Although I'd need to know specifics for everything. Do I need to install software? I presume all streaming? So can I open window, let it download(stream) whole movie and watch later?

What is the quality of video they use? DVD or 720p 5.1 surround sound? Hmm, kinda found an answer

Watching for 1 hour will use approximately 1GB of bandwidth and approximately 2GB an hour if you are watching HD. You have the option to set your account to "no HD" if you'd prefer.

2gb per hour for HD? My ISP already shits all over me for downloading simple stuff. But hey, maybe I should get a lawyer and sue my ISP and government for giving them monopoly.

It says it only works on Windows and Mac. So I guess I can't use it. Or can I? Is it browser based, or do I need to install software? Based upon wikipedia, no mention of linux. Guess they won't be getting any money from me.

We've had it down here for a few years, and there's not much to know. Streaming; it's basically Hulu or youtube without commercials. I don't know whether you can download a whole movie legally and watch it offline using netflix, we usually just do the streaming thing. I've really been pleased with netflix so far; they have a surprisingly large collection of streaming films. Also, if they do the 1-3 DVDs shipped to your house at a time in Canada, it's definitely worth it. We haven't had problems with the DVDs yet, and it's at least comparable to traditional video rental.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other thing, you need Microsoft Silverlight to stream.