Greatest RTS game/series of all time?

Saturn

Greatest RTS game/series of all time?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest RTS game/series of all time?

• StarCraft
    • Warcraft
    • Command & Conquer
    • Total Annihilation
    • Age of Empires
    • Company of Heroes
    • Homeworld
    • Dawn of War
    • Cossacks
    • other

For me I'd say that the greatest RTS out of the box would be Total Annihilation (1997) with both of it's expansion packs. The game has literally hundreds of units that are unique to each faction, there are dozens of multiplayer maps, the campaigns are enjoyable, and it has a stellar soundtrack. Unfortunately Total Annihilation lacks in customization. There are lots of user made maps, mods, and custom units, but there is no built-in map editor like in most other RTS games, and there are no custom games like in StarCraft or other RTS games, there is only melee in Total Annihilation (destroy your enemies base and kill his/her commander). Another shortcoming of Total Annihilation is that when you head online, unlike StarCraft: Brood War, it can be relatively hard to find people to play with. You can however find a few people on PhoeniX WorX, WarZone, and GameSpy Arcade however.

However, for a game that has been perfected, I'd say the original StarCraft (1998), with Brood War. StarCraft has a great storyline, unique units for each faction, a built in map editor, an average soundtrack, and the greatest online service of all time, the original (not 2.0) Battle.net. One thing that separates StarCraft: Brood War from the hundreds of other RTS games out there is not only Battle.net, but the ability to play custom games on Battle.net. The original map editor was pretty weak, but the community created several custom map editors (I recommend X-tra Editor in special mode for units and triggers, and StarForge for terrain) to create maps with. Custom maps range from defense maps to RPGs to bounds to movie maps to zombie survival maps, and everything in between. StarCraft also has millions of players from all around the world and is still the most popular RTS game of all time, despite being over 10 years old.

Starcraft/Warcraft 2 are definantly two of my favorite rtss, though I'm a little annoyed that, in a poll of this nature on a Dune board, the Dune series aren't even mentioned. Dungeon Keeper is also an awesome rts, though it's somewhat rarely mentioned.

• 1 month later...

I don't like most RTS for one simple reason: the camera is not far enough away from the battleground and I really hate that. I've played a lot of RTS games and quit most of them after one day.

I really loved Dune 2 and played it extensively when it was released and years after that. I also like Emperor a lot and still enjoy playing it from time to time. But it has flaws and I wouldn't consider it to be the best game. Starcraft got my vote because it's so well balanced, interesting, has a lot of different tactical approaches and is just an overall great game although I always thought that Zerg don't really fit in there. Nowadays with broadband internet and HD videos it's also a pleasure to watch the game being played by good players. I've watched hundreds of progamer matches in livestreams and replay casts this year already and it's just pure entertainment most of the time.

I don't like most RTS for one simple reason: the camera is not far enough away from the battleground and I really hate that. I've played a lot of RTS games and quit most of them after one day.

I really loved Dune 2 and played it extensively when it was released and years after that. I also like Emperor a lot and still enjoy playing it from time to time. But it has flaws and I wouldn't consider it to be the best game. Starcraft got my vote because it's so well balanced, interesting, has a lot of different tactical approaches and is just an overall great game although I always thought that Zerg don't really fit in there. Nowadays with broadband internet and HD videos it's also a pleasure to watch the game being played by good players. I've watched hundreds of progamer matches in livestreams and replay casts this year already and it's just pure entertainment most of the time.

I recommend you play Supreme Commander. You can get the camera as far from the battleground as you want.

Don't believe me? Check this out ;)

SupCom_ZoomAnimation.gif

Yes I know Supreme Commander and the camera angles are nice but I don't really like the overall design. When I played it everything looked almost the same to me just with different colours. It wasn't bad but it didn't catch me either. Maybe I'll give it another try and also check out the second game when I have a gaming PC again.