Thus so far: LAN/internet - Hamachi/Gameranger?

Tosti

Hi all,

I've been diving into history of games with somebody else, and trying all sorts of old games to bring back memories. Right now, we're interested in playing some Dune 2000.

We wanted to play over LAN or internet (both doesn't matter, as long it works), and I've seen at least 2 possibilities on this forum. However both possibilities lack documentation, lack guidance. I tried the many methods and we're simply stuck. I went for Gameranger first. I installed the game from Grunt Mods and updated it to 1.06. It's working fine on the windows 7 system. Then I downloaded Gameranger. Made an account, hosted the game, selected LAN and make "new" game. However this is where the problem starts. I can't change anything because the game claims that I'm "not the host". This left me confused, the other person whom I wanted to play with was still waiting on the message when the host was done making a game.

Then I tried Hamachi, 1.0.1.5. I went to network adapters, properties, install protocol, add.. but wait, there's no list that include IPX (naturally win7 doesn't have this, but I assumed the older version of hamachi would).

Lastly I tried replacing the dune2000.dat file. But the game just entirely freezes upon pressing the Lan button.

So we're pretty stuck now. If you want to help us, in one of these 3 ways or alternatively, do it with as much detail possible please, because it already is confusing as it is. Thanks a bunch.

Hi all,

I've been diving into history of games with somebody else, and trying all sorts of old games to bring back memories. Right now, we're interested in playing some Dune 2000.

We wanted to play over LAN or internet (both doesn't matter, as long it works), and I've seen at least 2 possibilities on this forum. However both possibilities lack documentation, lack guidance. I tried the many methods and we're simply stuck. I went for Gameranger first. I installed the game from Grunt Mods and updated it to 1.06. It's working fine on the windows 7 system. Then I downloaded Gameranger. Made an account, hosted the game, selected LAN and make "new" game. However this is where the problem starts. I can't change anything because the game claims that I'm "not the host". This left me confused, the other person whom I wanted to play with was still waiting on the message when the host was done making a game.

Then I tried Hamachi, 1.0.1.5. I went to network adapters, properties, install protocol, add.. but wait, there's no list that include IPX (naturally win7 doesn't have this, but I assumed the older version of hamachi would).

Lastly I tried replacing the dune2000.dat file. But the game just entirely freezes upon pressing the Lan button.

So we're pretty stuck now. If you want to help us, in one of these 3 ways or alternatively, do it with as much detail possible please, because it already is confusing as it is. Thanks a bunch.

Well you cant use the official server because my version does not install westwood internet components. I would suggest applying the ipx patch a member here made.

GameRanger is a common way to play in Dune2k. However, having a cable internet connection, good & stable ping from you to other user(s) is strongly preferable. You should have 1.02 game version to play via GR. 1.06 game version is not supported at the moment.

And if you want to play via Hamachi, you should have WinXP OS, Hamachi ver. 1.0.1.5 (only this ver. support Dune2k), IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol Installed & Properly Configured. It doesn

GameRanger is a common way to play in Dune2k. However, having a cable internet connection, good & stable ping from you to other user(s) is strongly preferable. You should have 1.02 game version to play via GR. 1.06 game version is not supported at the moment.

And if you want to play via Hamachi, you should have WinXP OS, Hamachi ver. 1.0.1.5 (only this ver. support Dune2k), IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol Installed & Properly Configured. It doesn

• 5 months later...