LAN games using TCP/IP instead of IPX

XAHTEP

Hello, I've patched the DUNE2000.DAT to run LAN games over TCP/IP. No IPX driver install required! (I could never get it working ...) 8)

Here's the file:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/6995/Dune2000/1.06-TCPIP/DUNE2000.DAT

Or use this link if you want the no CD patch applied also:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/6995/Dune2000/1.06-TCPIP-NOCD/DUNE2000.DAT

Just save it over your existing DUNE2000.DAT, and make sure everyone else you want to play a LAN game with has also installed this patched version.

It even works over Hamachi (though you probably will have to change the network adapter metric as described in http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Gaming_over_Hamachi, "Basic Guide" section)

Please, if you're interested, do test it and let me know how it works!

• 2 weeks later...

>:( >:( >:(

yes, sounds interesting, but there's only a trojan-worm and keylogger inside. DUNE2000.DAT acts after using of this file like self-application, and tries to log keys, and do some internet activities...

when you'll be so good, and instead of doing crap like this, really working on TCP/IP for Dune 2000, it would be great and usefull...  now it was just waste of time... 

You are absolutely wrong, there is no such thing inside, and I will give full information on the patch later on this weekend to verify this.

What makes you think it's doing this anyway? (Assuming you're not just trolling.)

through firewall.  when self dune2000.dat wanted to access internet over relatively strange port... i thought, ok, let's try it...

but then the dune2000.dat asked for "Directly access keyboard logging" !!!!!!    this was reason to stop it, and think what i think now...

what for do you need key logging in such thing???

Honestly, there is no keylogger in the program.

Could you try running the original DUNE2000.DAT from the 1.06 patch and see if you get the same notification?

Which program is claiming this anyway?

The request for the Internet port is normal for Directplay games; if you download e.g. GTA2 from http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/ and try to play a TCP/IP game, you'll find it wants to do the same thing.

(I haven't finished writing up how the patch works yet but will do it soon.)

Ok. maybe the soft's wrong...  it's Comodo Firewall pro.  (setting is just medium, no paranoid mode...)

if i run original Dune2000.dat from 1.06 patch, it doesn't get such notifications..., maybe the request for internet access is OK, but request for logging keys sounds so strange to me...

i'll try allowing internet access and denying key logging, if it works, and if not, i'll allow also that logging, and monitor all activities of releated dat, and eventually new dll's... if it's clean or not.

if it's just false alarm, than sorry... LAN playing on TCP/IP would be wonderfull! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting really long lag times between when I click on 'LAN' and when I enter the lobby.  Nothing show stopping but odd.  Then when I get into a Hosted game and hit 'go' the client seems to recieve the message waaaaay too late.  The Host goes to Connecting, counts down 60 seconds and times out.  The Client stays in the game lobby for about 2 minutes, then goes to the Connecting and starts the 60 second count down but the Host has long since timed out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I aint sure if its me, but, it seems to be "very Slow" when clicking on LAN, it normally takes about 12, to 15 seconds upon connection it does work for a short period of time but after a few uses, the next time you click on LAN it tends to Freeze, i've waited for 10, even 15 minutes, and nothing happens, just stuck on "LAN", i am running Windows Vista, 32 Bit, if thats the problem, but all in that, i tend to uninstall and then reinstall the game, and that tends to help, but, this is my first time using the LAN play on Dune 2000

@Thumper: both Vista/Windows 7 work on Wireless and we both connect to a BT Broadband box, we can actually play games but it takes time from clicking "LAN" to the lobby, and some times it freezes all together, but i think i have figured the problem, so, hopefully, we'll be playin again in no time :D