Jump to content

techical problems with mods


gxbth
 Share

Recommended Posts

hello dune-editors,

first i must appreciate your efforts, though i can't take much of it. all mods i tried (actually conflict of the landsraad, corino expansion and imp civil war) didnt work well. first they did nothing but crash everything down, with "duplicate string entry file g_output_text_pickup.txt" leading to an abnormal programm termination. although i didnt get it, it seems no good. after scanning the archiv here on the forum i discovered the hint to erase the string-folder of the mod. that helped well, but, unfortunatly, while in progress (example landsraad) game crashes sooner or later.

but, their must be some other solution, besides getting off that "string" folder. somehow i'm a bit surprised, that these problems are not mentioned here (or did i miss that?). the anamnesis-story so far: after my old ebfd-game went off i got myself another version at ebay. this was the german release 1.04, which didnt go on with all the map-packs at all. so i used the 1.09 german patch, and now editor and user-maps work fine - but not the mods. i realized that the structure of the mod-game-files are different from my original game-files. does anyone here around mentioned something similar? can this cause the duplicate string entry error?

greets an waiting for advises

gxbth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check whether you have duplicate SFX entries.

All of my mod are UK-English ones and your text error is due to you having botha german one and my english one, so other differences will be SFX (and possibly edits made to correct Superweapons which is in another of the folders to do with speech).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

okay,

finally i found something else in the sfx-folder, in the DIALOG.TXT a comment saying: "Unit responses were under dialog-system that are now called under sfx".

my problem: how do I access the double entries? I couldnt even discover a file named G_output_extra_text_pickups.txt (actually there is an E_output_extra_text_pickups.txt in my sfx-folder) what really confuses me. How do I get rid off that second entry? Can I erase or replace one of them? So wehre do I find it? Is this data part of one of the big package-files? Do I need a special tool to do this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Mod includes:

/data/sfx/

E_output_extra_text_pickups.txt --> rename this G_output_extra_text_pickups.txt

E_output_pickup.txt ---> rename this G_output_pickup.txt

E_output_text_pickup.txt --> rename this G_output_text_pickup.txt

after that if there are any other errors tell me as it will be other files that the german version has appended G_ on the front of (the above one the E_ stands for english).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here we go

from the cotl-file i got from d2k, the files you mentioned were all located in data/strings/

simply renaming did do it, there where still doublettes, but i finally found a solution after picking that duneEx-tool.

the german version has none of these files, either a "string"-folder.

so I had to open the file STRINGS0001.RFH right in the data-folder with duneEx. here were the questioned files.

as you suggested, they all started with G instead of E. I added the following files to STRINGS0001.RFH, renamed

them and deleted the old german versions

this way:

E_Output_Extra_Text_Pickups.txt => G_Output_Extra_Pickup.txt

E_Output_Pickup.txt => G_Output_Pickup.txt

E_Output_Text_Pickup.txt => G_Output_Text_Pickup.txt

Text strings.txt => G_Output_Text.txt

UISPOKEN.txt => G_Output_UI.txt

kept your other files in your string-folder. causes no trouble.

now everything seems just fine. all new ingame-messages work, but still hear the associated german voices data ;)

game didn crush afterwards - only my taskforce got beaten up by corrino-sardaukar. these guys are bloody hell! at least the landsraad-trooper comes in handy and reinforcements means big reinforcements. long live the fighters!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could someone sticky this topic as it will be useful for any person with non-english Emperor wanting to use any mod which has modified the strings folder (Conflict of the Landsraad, Imperial Civil War, Shai-hulud, Collapse of a Dynasty etc.

Thanks

JulesG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hello again,

I tried this on the imperial civil war mod, that didn work before. To turn off the duplicate-entry-error I had

to add all the files in the mod-string-folder and replace the original localized german-txt-files with them.

And finally erase the now useless string-folder (otherwise there would be still double entries).

It works, although the gui-texts in-game are still german. well, nobodys perfect ;)

But still I wonder that this topic isnt discussed more round here. I cant imagine that only a fistfull of players encountered it -at least I hope that its not due to my dizzy brain so that anybody else here didnt bother that much. there must be localized versions in french, spain, whatever, suffering from similar problems. it be a shame to exclude them from all the fantastic & creative stuff made here. now I got 3 versions of emperor running on my system. after the mod-problem beat me down several times, now its time to beat the enemy ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...