Dune 2000 Aftermath

montego

This is an overview of the new mod i've made, so you can judge for yourself if you may or may not be interested. Gobalopper has already posted it.

The Story

1. The Ordos........... By keeping a low profile, akin to flying low under the radar, the Ordos, in a profitable arrangement with the smugglers, have amassed quite a fortune selling Melange on the black market to rogue groups, unbeknownst to the Emperor or the Guild.

2. The Ixians.......... The House of IX, while selling technology to all houses vying for control of Dune, have been busy little bees themselves, Probably angry about not being a playable House in the game. With the tacit approval of the Emperor, they have managed to infiltrate nearly all resources, and steal proprietary vehicle technology that all three major houses depend on for their fight for the control of Dune.

3. The Alliance........ Before any Houses knew of this breech, the Ixians approached the Ordos, and agreed to give them stolen Harkonnen Devestator technology - If in return, the Ordos would give the Ixians a Stealth Devestator. The Ordos agreed, and a year later, the first prototypes were rolling out. They weren't quite as strong as the Harkonnen model, but with the stealth technology required, some sacrifices were required. The stage seemed to be set for house IX and Ordos to make a serious move...

4. The Betrayal......... The Ixians in the meantime really had no intention of remaining loyal to anything but themselves, and they saw a huge opportunity here - In six months time, they rolled out Sonic Tanks, Deviators, And Stealth Devestators - The Ordos were furious, as it wasn't even common knowledge yet that they actually existed.

5. Feigned Indignance... The Houses of Harkonnen and Ordos protested, but not too loudly, since neither house was above stealing anything they could to gain an advantage anyway. House Atreides didn't waste their time, since they knew the score, and frankly, for what they have lost, they have also gained.

6. The End.............. Well, I guess it's really the beginning, since this is where you take over, and play the mod.

The Changes

1. All infantry run pretty much the same speed. this keeps your engineers from getting to the opponent's base before their support troops do. Works very well in group mode (CTRL 0-9). Soldiers are all a little stronger too. Since their is no Medic in Dune 2000, all infantry units will self-heal. Sardukar & Grenadiers are available in mission mode. Grenadiers can be built by all Houses. Sorry infantry lovers, but tanks still squish infantry.

2. Missile Tanks no longer outshoot turrets. I figure if a dude is minding his business, whassamatta with that? If an attacker wants to invade your base, he'll have to bring a lunch.

3. Vehicle speeds are now generally faster. I dunno, maybe it's me, but I find this more challenging, especially in Computer AI games.

4. Build speeds are now twice as fast as the stock game. Infantry and Vehicle build times are tweaked to the max.

5. Say goodbye to Stealth Trikes, and a big hello to Stealth Devestators. Requires House Ordos.

6. Starport - The Ix Starport Vehicle selection has been updated You (All Houses) can now order; Harvesters, MCVs, Combat Tanks, Carryalls, Sonic Tanks, Devestators, Deviators, and Stealth Devestators.

7. Building costs are generally half of what the stock game was.

8. The distance of certain weapons have been adjusted, as to make the game slightly more challenging.

9. Construction Yards now give you 2000 units of energy, Wind Traps give you 500.

I realize that their are probably some things I am forgetting, but I guess that'll make it a little more interesting for everyone...

A note; Please don't give me a critique about the story here. if you don't like the story, make your own up. All other comments are welcome...

I included the saved TibEd file for this mod in the ZIP, so you can tweak it the way you like, or Use it as you wish.

I would like to thank Koen Van de Sande for making the program that finally gives the Dune 2000 community the power to make the game customizeable to every single player's personal taste. I would also like to thank Gobalopper, and Samah, who made the (and hopefully will make a new version) Shai-Hulud Map Editor.

-=<...Into The New Milleneum...>=-

/<aptain />>ontego

I just finished working on the zip file. I now have aftermath on my computer and its so cool, but the starport won't let me buy the special units, it still has the regular units in starports. But this aftermath MOD is so cool and good. I love the build time, have fremen from a captured atreides construction yard, sold yard, built atreides palace. The fremen build faster, so do my sabetuers, steath devestators(that are fast and so cool), ornithopter strike builds faster from atreides high tech factory(I built from the captured construction yard), deviators build @ super speed for super cheap. Thanks Captain, you're a genius man.

>>I now have aftermath on my computer and its so cool, but the starport won't let me buy the special units, it still has the regular units in starports.

One thing I forgot to mention in the documentation - You cannot get the new Starport menu from a currently saved game - Sorry about that, I had forgotten about this limitation altogether. I guess you'll have to replay and re-save. The saved missions available here are an exception, as I have played them all with Aftermath installed.

I hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Captain. I was just wondering if you have any background in C++ coding or coding in general? If so, have you ever thought of modding Half-Life? I used to do it, but i had stopped fro a while. Making Epic Dune kind of got me back in the spirit and I have been coding ever since. Its really great, the engine is perfectly modifiable. If you want any more info, e-mail me at Requietum@aol.com. Talk to you later.

- Jason.