Emperor Freezing when it hit EA Symbol

Hey, I just found this site through google, and you guys seem to know what you are doing so maybe you can help me. I installed emperor no problems at all. It was actually quite fast, then when I go to play it it starts up fine, I see the EA symbol ready to kick some harkonnen ass, and then it freezes right there. I try again maybe hitting the esc button right when I see it, but no dice. I am running an Athlon 64 bit processor, Nvidia graphics card, top of the line homemade computer. I did patch the game, but it did not seem to help. Anything help you guys can provide would be much apprecaited.

Find the Emperor folder (C:programswestwoodemperor ?) and find the data folder. Then in the data folder find the movies folder. In there, rename the movies intro.bik and ea.bik and legals.bik. I am working from memory, and mine is not the best memory, so I might have the names wrong, but if in doubt rename em all. You can always go back to normal names.

Now run the game and see if it goes to the menu.

Nope still doesn't work. I have movie files that are 100_F03E 100_F04E F05E etc etc then CREDITS LEGALS (not the one I renamed legal.bik.erj and SNEKPEAK. I renamed three random ones ea.bik.erj intro.bik.erj and legal.bik.erj, they were the first three in alphabetacle order.

ok. there is a particular reason I asked you to try renaming the movie files. Thats what you are seeing when the game crashes on you. The one you see is ea.bik, I think. I wanted you to rename the 3 I know are used at the beginning, but as I cant rememeber the names exactly, and have deleted the files myself, I cant get you the names.

Now, another option is to rename all of them, that way you are guaranteed to get the right ones. I didnt mean change 3 totally random files  :)

Having said that, it seems you got the right 3 !

Try this. Control Panel, Display properties. Find the Settings Tab along the top, in that tab, click Advanced.

Find the Trouble Shoot tab, and move the slider one notch to the left, appply, and try the game again. Do this again until either the game start or you notice some other change. On my system I cannot go below the 4th notch and have emperor work, so i guess going below the 4th setting is pointless.

Third fromright, yes ?

Good. So we now know its a graphics issue. Have you updated the drivers for your motherboard ?

Find the drivers for your motherboards chipset, and see if updating that helps.

Also, if that fails, there is another set of drivers available for your graphics card, here.

Download the version correct for your card (nVidia  ;)) and try those. Will require you to uninstall your old driver first.

Try that IF you cannot update motherboard driver first.

Goot luck.