Battle for Dune freezes big time on '98

Hey nice site.  I spent the day looking around the site and came upon a 10 page thread about the same problem.  My PC used to run Battle for Dune without a hitch.  Now no matter what I have tried it will run the disks but will randomly freeze/lock up to the point where I have to Ctrl, Alt, Delete., or pull the plug.  The Harkonnen disk lets me play the longest, up to 2 missions before I have to restart.  The Ordos freezes 30 seconds into the first mission.  I have shut down my firewall and anti-virus programs, turned off shadows, lowered my graphics/ game speed/ mouse speed.  Nothing so far helps.  I went and bought a 512 stick of RAM but it didn't help.  Now the thing I have noticed is,  when I first d/l'ed the install disk way back when, it installed fairly fast (a couple of minutes) this was when I made it through the Atreides missions without a hitch.  Later on after playing other games like Red Alert2 and Renegade I went back to Dune and it locked up so I just didn't play it.  I have now re-installed it and read these forums and can not for the life of me find a fix for this freezing up.  Any suggestions are welcome,  I'm stuck.  Man what a first post.  Oh by the way I was surprised to find this site.  EBFD is a great game.