Dune Tribes: Tournement

-HH-Agent

Before I begin, anyone who wants to try out Dune mod, can follow this link to the tutorial .

http://www.planettribes.com/daf/daforiginaldownloads/tutorial

That should be everything you need to start and run the game.

Now for our feature presentation:

Well, we've got a little tournement for dune tribes going this weekend (june 25-26) So I figured I might as well post it here. It may not be exactly cannon, but it just might be fun.

Stats

Time: June 25 starting 1:00 eastern

Place: House Corrino server, tribes 1.

It is set up as a double elimination tournement.

So, come along, mayhap lead your house to victory, or drag them to defeat!

Brackets (forgive me if I butcher the names)

Round 1

Ix Vs. Bene Tilexu---------------|

I know the sound of the word "Tournement" and Agent's ASCII Atrocity might be enough to put off the casual reader of our humble forum so I just wanted to chime in and say that the event is open to all, veterans and newcomers to the Tribes mod alike.  As long as you know what a "Holtzmann Effect" is (and more importantly how to prevent one), you are welcome to play and join in the fun.

Furthermore, don't be put off simply by the fact that the game is a First Person Shooter.  I'm not an FPS player, myself (and it shows), but the attention to detail Tez has put into designing the mod yet makes it worthwhile.  Some of the features included are:

*Working Shields.  That's right, your Holtzmann shield will make you completely invulnerable to projectiles, leaving knives as the only effective weapons against these defences.  Don't leave your shield up for too long, though, as your breathable air will eventually grow stale.

*Holtzmann Effect.  Think you're the baddest Conscript on the block with your fancy Lasgun?  Avoid hitting a shielded target or you'll blow yourself up as well as everything within a sizable radius.  For some reason, near-by allies never appreciate this tactic very much and you'll be faced with a 60 second cool-down period before you can continue playing.

*Sandworms.  What Dune mod would be complete without these terrible beasts to keep us hugging the rocks?  And I'd avoid using your shield in the open desert or you'll quickly become something's lunch.

*Melee combat.  A rarity in FPS games, Dune Tribes focuses on close quarters fighting.  While initial reaction might be just to charge your nearest opponent "knives blazing", to achieve maximum effectiveness in melee a player should know how to Tackle enemies and Block their attacks as well as how to attack while minimising their own vulnerability.  It takes practice, but it's more fulfilling than simply gunning somebody down.

Tez's tutorial can be a bit daunting in its scope, I know, so I have decided to personally host an orientation for newcomers of the game on Friday at 8:00pmGMT / 2:00pmET / 12:00pmPT and again at 8:00pmET / 5:00pmPT on Friday the 22nd.  Downloading the client-side pack (which can be found through following the link to the tutorial) is highly reccomended not not necessary to play.  I also reccomend trying the first few in-game tutorials provided within the game to get a feel for the basic controls.  I hope to see many of you there.

--Bashar

I'd like to note that the tutorial, while very large, is ment for people of all computer literacy. So to cut down the length, avoid reading the sections that seem redundent. Also, a bit of the first half of it can be skipped if you have no interest in the originall Tribes game at all, but rather want to look at the Dune version.

Also, since to get on to the game and participate in Bashar's orientation, you kinda.. well, need the game, I'd advise looking at the sections in the tutorial that describe how/where to download the game, patches, the Dune stuff, and how to get started with getting online with it.

Downloading/installing the game and patches:

http://www.planettribes.com/daf/daforiginaldownloads/tutorial/Installation.htm#Installation

Downloading and installing (not required) Dune stuff:

http://www.planettribes.com/daf/daforiginaldownloads/tutorial/InstallingDune.htm#InstallingDune

Getting to an online game quick:

http://www.planettribes.com/daf/daforiginaldownloads/tutorial/PlayingTheGame5.htm#RealGames

And getting to a Dune server based off of the previous information:

http://www.planettribes.com/daf/daforiginaldownloads/tutorial/PlayingDune.htm#ConnectingToAServer

If you have questions, you can post them in this thread, PM myself or bashar, email me, put them in the other Dune Tribes thread, or even go into the Tribes IRC chat room (its set up by default in the Tribes program, along with a perty little version of IRC) and ask general tribes questions there. I also tend to pop in and out of those chat rooms myself so.. if I'm there, ask away (I'll be in there as "[HC]Jesus" under most circumstances).