Cut or No Cut?

Gobalopper

Guest Templar Assasin

I don't think scenes should be cut...u know is like a movie...how would u feel if a part was cut out? It just doesn't make sense...I think more horrible things are seen today; and I don't think that showing that scene would harm WestWood anyway...

No Cut. There is no reason this should have been cut. There are far worse things going on in movies and other games period and this is actually pretty bland considering our normal daily dosing of violence we get from TV and Media already.

Guest Cruciform

No cut.

By switching the camera view at the right moment the violence becomes implied, putting it to the imagination of the player. The spray of blood is a nice touch :)

It all depends on whether you want that 'M' on the box though.

Cut. That was a little too disgusting. Westwood is known for sweet ass games, not horror movies. I think that that scene would have raised the rating on Dune, causing many people to not be allowed to play it. No, I wouldn't have been one of those people, I'm 18 and have seen many horror movies, but carrying it into a comp game that would be played by 12yr olds is a good enough reason for me to stick with my decision to say CUT. I know that you all disagree, but now it's a win:win situation. You people can feast your eyes on someone's heart being ripped out and the 12yr olds get to play a great game.

- Micro_man001

Guest Campbell

Cut. I sincerely doubt that kind of violence is needed in a cutscene...perhaps if they wanted to express that kind of thing, they should take a cue from Hitchhock or something and be a little more subtle. I mean, we all know the Harkonnen are bloodthirsty freaks...it really does nothing but bring unnecessary polical "Colonel Grossman"-type attention to a game that looks to be fantastic.

Oh, and that midget in the beginning was quite disturbing as well.

Guest CupeliX

I would have to say cut it - it's a little....well.... blatant, in my opinion. Not to say that Dune is a happy-go-lucky story...but I think that it's a touch unnecessary - you could produce something much scarier without having to do flagrant splattering of blood on the bad guy's faces

Dune? A happy-go-lucky story??? Which dune did you read/watch cause I don't think it was the same one I did? That seems right in line with the baron Harkonan. As to the decision to cut based on the age of the audience... that's valid I guess. How about reworking that scene without the blood spray. It's pretty obvious what's going on. :)

They should be a more little more subtle. Kinda like in the miniseries when it never actually says the Baron Harkonnen was gay but after the scene where Feyd's plot to kill him (with a shielded needle hidden in a slave boy's leg) fails you get the idea.

Just like in the book there was never anything really gross in that great of detail. If you rely somewhat on the player's imagination and some acting talent (btw the acting sucks in this clip), then you could make some quality cut scenes.

After all this is said and done, I think they should've cut it for only one reason: the acting is horrible. The violence is pretty tame for today's standards.

I say cut. It doesnt belong in a computer game which is played by lots of 12 yr olds. Plus it doesnt add anything extra to the game. You can also make the harkonnen look terrible on another way. The mentat in dune2k was pretty good. Just let them say stuff as: ah yes... so you lost the mission... Do you really wanto live the rest of life in a pain emplifier? MUAHAHAHAA. or something :P

In dune2k it was pretty obvious the harkonnen are brutal. Just think of the movie you got to see when you selected the harkonnen.

No humanity remains in the harkonnen. Or the opening movie: The evil harkonnen..

should i go on?

Anyway. Games are entertainment because they are cool to play. Sex/violence doesnt add anything. There is plenty of that in the movie shop. So is say cut. Or westwood is pretty low in my opinion. And the game would get a 16 + rating in my country. So half of the buyer potential wont get the game.