Can U bypass registration process for Dune2000?

Pasley69

On-line registration process demands an upgrade to the

registration client.

This doesn't work so I can't use the game. I just

upgraded to Windows XP and took opportunity for

a totally clean install and wiped everything.

Now I'm trying to re-install Dune2000 - my favourite

game and it just won't bet past this registration

hurdle.

Is this a temporary problem over the Xmas New Year break,

or is it permanent - in which case is there a workaround?

Thanks

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would put this up because there will probably be more people running into this shortly. The servers to register your copy of Dune 2000 are gone it appears. The game will not run unless you are registered. It will just keep trying to register over and over. I just moved over to WinXP and thought I would re-install my copy of Dune 2000 for old times sake.

You need to go to your control panel. Then to network connections. Double click on Local Area Connection. Hit disable. Then close it. You modem light should go dead as the ethernet card is off. Reboot the computer and re-install your Dune 2000. Then re-enable your LAN. Thats how I got mine to re-install and work.

Everyone who is already installed will work until you uninstall it. Then the fun begins. I would say to back up the folder your Dune 2000 is installed into. And then overwrite your Dune 2000 folder with it after you re-install. Thats a guess.

I hope this helps people who unistall the game and then try to re-install the game now that the registration servers are gone.

I saw a link somewhere in the message boards here, but I dont think that will do you any good. The westwood server is down (probobly for good)and I think registration is for online play, Which also seems to be gone for good. Try the register later option and get patch from this site. If not try to look for that link in tech issues perhaps?? Good Luck and by the way, Dune Online Really Rocks!! Too bad nobodys figured out someplace to play,like xwis, which seemes to work but nobodys ever there :'(

I just ran into the same problem and I think there is a change to skip this by simply editing a file called "launcher.cfg". There's a line "RUN = . register.dat", and similar which is ignored by the # mark and contains "RUN = Game to be started blaa blaa" (forgot what it said). I tried ignoring the registering process and tried few lines on the "RUN =" like "Dune2000", "Dune2k", "Dune", none of them didn't seem to work, "Dune2000" tried to execute the dune2000.exe quitea few times, so at least it did something.

So if we're lucky, we only need a working argument for that line, so help us anyone who has the game already installed and working. Posting the whole contents of the launcher file would be very nice.

Well I just uninstalled it and re-installed it and it didnt even try to go online this time. Now I am scratching my head. I know I am not alone because when I googled looking for info on how to get around it, a lot of people were complaining of the same thing. Well, here is my Launcher cfg. if anybody wants to look at it.

# comment

# RUN = the game to launch

RUN = . Dune2000.dat

#

# Sku's to check for patches

#

SKU1 = 3584  SOFTWAREWestwoodDune 2000

SKU2 = 32512 SOFTWAREWestwoodWOLAPI

Great! That's it! Should've figured it out... My configuration now looks as follows :

# comment

RUN = Dune2000.dat

#RUN = . register.dat

#

# Sku's to check for patches

#

#SKU1 = 32256 SOFTWAREWestwoodRegister

#SKU2 = 32512 SOFTWAREWestwoodWOLAPI

It still tries to access internet but the registration is skipped, so it seems to work just fine. I tried it with and without the dot in front of the Dune2000.dat argument but it didn't seem to make any difference. Try commenting out the SKU-lines and and return with results, this might be helpfull for many people.