Dune Editing for a Noob

ZeroG

• 1 month later...

Reading another post someone had similar problems, and someone mentioned using duneex to extract a 'clean' rules.txt files, so I've done this, but now my question is do I need to have teh artini.txt file in the model folder also with rules?  or can i just have rules.txt in there?

That depends on it. If you are only going to change units, then you won't need the ArtIni.txt. But if you really want to add them, then you need the ArtIni.txt as well. That file lists all the models and the icons the units need. So if a new unit has no reference in the ArtIni.txt then it won't show up in game.

And if you want to change the model/icon of an existing unit (or building or something else) then you also need that ArtIni.txt. You can also change the colors you can choose from when setting up a game there.

I'd recommend my Adding Units Tutorial at editing.dune2k.com in the tutorials section if thats the sort of operation you want to perform. It's got all the info there. And if I'm not mistaken, you can get clean Rules and ArtIni files through the mod section on the Fed2k main page.