West of House

DukeLeto

[tt]West of House

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

There is a small mailbox here.

>open mailbox

Opening the small mailbox reveals a leaflet.

>read leaflet

(Taken.)

"WELCOME TO ZORK!

ZORK is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

>_[/tt]

Certainly more than a few of you have seen those words before. And if you haven't, why the heck not? ZORK is a classic! One of the first PC games, it dates all the way back to 1980. And it's FREE! (Yes, legally!) You can download it form here. (It's text-based sequels and "cousins" are available as well, from the same site. Look around.)

S,o anything to discuss? I flove the strange commands you can give it to get funny reactions: MUMBLE, PLUGH, OIL ME WITH HANDS, etc. And who can forget the timeless classic, HELLO SAILOR.

[tt]Nothing happens here.

>_[/tt]

I've never tried Zork itself; just Zork: Nemesis, one of it's later sequels (not IF, though). The only IF game I really got into was called Underworld, or something to that degree. Of course, I also had quite a few of those "choose your own adventure" novels as a kid, which are somewhat similar. I've always liked the idea of IF games, although I don't really have the patience for them.

FED2K Gaming Forum

Vanguard laughs, as DukeLeto is promptly eaten by a Grue.

>_