Tactics and Strategy

Guest Mithrandir

I love this topic, because there is always so much contrversy! I prefer a frontal attack, with massive force, but it all depends on my location. If the oppertunity presents itself, I would result to a sneak attack. It all depends on the tech level, too. If I don't have very strong units, I am more likely to use sneak tactics.

Is a point of view Mithrandir, I prefer "Guerrilla Warfare" instead of "Frontal Attack" destroy his units and resources little by little, so the enemy turns weak and finally you can win with a handful of units.

Guest Mithrandir

I'll agree that that is a good strategy, but which house would you use? I suppose the obvious choice for you would be ordos, but I think the harkos have some pretty sneaky units! Like the buzz-saw unit; you can take out enemy spice fields with that! Sounds like a huge advantage to me!

I agree with you Mithrandir, but surely any unit with offensive capabilities can destroy spice fields!! A spice field wouldn't last long against a bombardment from mortar infantry, or if a saboteur released it's payload right in the middle of a field now would it??? The harkonens have the Inkvine cattapults which covers areas with toxic fluids which remain on the ground for a while. You could surround an enemies spice fields with the toxic fluid and then their infantry wouldn't be able to defend their harvesters and they would have to commit valuable tanks etc. to defend them against skirmish runs!!!

Personally I'm gonna set up groups of snipers at key locations round the base and pick off important infantry units!! Ohh wow!!! I just thought... if you ally with the Tleilaxu you could use the leeches on enemy vehicles, and when they send out their engineers to take them off.... You pick them off with your snipers!!!! Wicked!!!

Guest Mithrandir

I like your idea, Fedaykin, with the snipers, and that would be an advantage to having the Tleilaxu as an ally. Personally, I was scrabbling for a reason. To me, they seem worthless!

Alex, I suppose the atreidies are a good choice, but for hit-and-run tactics, wouldn't you agree that the ordos would be a good choice? I mean, think of the regenerating armor! You could attack a key point, run away, and then come at them again and again with fresh shields!

Sandwalker, I completely agree with you on the terrain thing! You must have the right type of terrain for any tactic. If you have open dunes, then hit-and-run wouldn't be the best choice, because your enemy could see you from a mile off!

Mithrandir, the ordos can be a good choice but if the enemy defense is a little hard they would be destroyed after retreat so i prefer more resistance. And about what you both said Sandwalker and Mithrandir, "el buen guerrillero" (good guerrilla warrior)has an exact knowledge of every meter of the terrain, the terrain plays with him, no against him, always can found the best way for hit and run without excesive danger.

I agree with you Mithrandir, the Tleilaxu are a pretty S**T sunhouse!!! I mean what's happened to the Gholas, or the Face Dancers??? I mentioned this in an earlier post but using a face dancer to mimick the enemy units and then infiltrate their base would be a wicked idea!!!

To be honest, I am rather dissapointed with the effort that WW have put into the Subhouses!!! They each have only two units!!!

Anyways, Peace, out

Five to six harversters are best (IMO) that way you can have a very hefty bank account. In order for that to work make sure that you have good base defenses. Build a unit of quads and trikes just for "harverster patrol" this will take care of those nasty little interuptions in spice mining. Rotate your units have fresh units ready to go on patrol while you repair the previous squad. this can save money and units when done correct.

Guest Mithrandir

If, say, I launched a major campaign against your little squad, how would you defend it, empty your base, or leave a rear guard? Say I came at you with a large concentrated harko force. What then?

Guest Mithrandir

I mean I'm gonna empty my whole base and sweep through your territory with a giant force of harkos and Ixians and Guild Naib tanks. Of course, a small rearguard would be necesary for base defense, but otherwise, everything comes at you. What then? What kind of forces do you think will be your favourite? Would you try to get me cornered or strangle me at a chokepoint? What about the dust bowls and infantry rock?

Guest Mithrandir

Usually when I go for a suicide, I ignore the battle itself and concentrate on producing more units to defend the base. That way, when Someone thinks I'm done for and heads for my base, I have a nice little surprise waiting for them. That's my strategy.

With the dust bowls don't the Ordos have a unit the that hides like a "trap-door spider".Will the Atreides have a unit that can exploit the "dust bowls"? Using the infantry rock is smart you could always set-up ambushes. I would rather strangle you at a choke point and then corner off your remaining units. All out is a last resort option. As far as the range of the units I'll use both long and short depending on how I attack the enemey.

Other question. We all have seen how some of our units was a worm breakfast, but i think that the worms are not enough dangerous as in the novel, they dont attack infantry, they are not as big as they must be so dont eat more than one unit. I think that this must be changed in E:BFD anybody knows some about it.

Hi Alex. You've got a few things wrong about the worms.

First: Infantry can be eaten by worms, they pick up the rhythmic vibrations of their footsteps and are attracted (The Fremen are the only infantry who do not attract worms, they've developed a way of walking without rhythum)

Second: There are 2 different sizes of worm. One that the Fremen Fadykin can ride into battle (these eat one unit), and the other is the giant (Shai-Halud) worm which comes up vertically and can eat up to 9 harvesters!!!

There ya go

Mungers

=3rd= Elite Regiment.