I've read trough the fora and tried all but emperor still won't run...

J-cop

I posted this on another thread (Emporer Technical problems, http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=4;action=display;threadid=11955, but this seems to be the same problem, so just in case I thought I would repost into this thread.

Please keep this thread going - as I now have the same problem on two PCs (we like the LAN game), but with a twist...

Both PCs use XP, one Home, the other Pro. Emperor-Dune worked fine until a few (3-4) weeks ago, when the same symptoms we saw in other threads appeared - game tries to start, emperor.exe process appears, then ~ef7194..(nice copyright screen)...then nada.

Clean re-install (including editing out Emperor stuff in the registry) doesn't work. Disabling NAV doesn't work - I will try and de-install NAV over the weekend, then reinstall. So given the two machines have very differnt hardware configs (one is a notebook, the other a desktop) my hypothesis is (a) a MS "security fix" has bust things, or (b) a NAV update has busted things. When I deinstall NAV we'll see, but that is only a temporary fix as I get a lot of virus attacks.

I am just hoping somebody a lot more savvy than me can suggest something as this game is an old favourite!

The ~ef7194 error message might be due to the safedisk protection. I'm almost sure I've seen that message in the lockup thread as well.

If you have a VIA chipset, make sure you've updated to the latest VIA drivers for your chipset.

Try unchecking the DMA box found under your CD/DVD-ROM properties settings.

If you have a Sound Blaster sound card, disable the CD Detector program.

Try changing your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM from a slave device to a master device.

First, I want to really thank all the people who responded to the problems I was having. This site is a very cool resource, with lots of useful tips and information.

In the hope of helping other poor souls......

Remember, I couldn't get eDune to work with XP; it just wouldn't load?

Surprisingly I eventually managed to get eDune working - WITH NAV!! How? Well, as with most computer fixes, I had to get awfully methodical. It took a while. (to complete that is, as opposed to me getting methodical)

First, I deinstalled eDune, cleaned up afterwards, including editing out all references in the registry.

I then updated every driver I could find, using Windows Update, and the manufacturer site for the video.

I then cleaned out all the temp files I could find, deinstalled any old programs I didn't need, deleted any old files...usual housekeeping stuff. Then ran DEFRAG for good measure.

Okay - with the PC in the best shape I could make it, I re-installed DUNE using the "CDROM" patch EMPENGINSTFIX10; taking the time (as the instructions said) to first set up a new "SETUP folder, copying over the new setup file, then installing eDude, then copying the new game executable over.

AND IT WORKED!

Now if I can just work out why it now causes my desktop to bluescreen at random times, I will be happy. But it only occasionally womps my game....

Thanks again for all of your help, guys.