Scenario [MAP] 'hidden' feature

TrueBrain

Dunno if this is known information, but I thought it might be nice to share.

While I was reading through the Scenario Load functions, I noticed that in a scenario under [MAP], it looks for elements starting with the C.

The syntax is like this:

CAAAXXYY = <integer>,<sprite>

Where:

- AAA: can be anything

- XX: X position of sprite

- YY: Y position of sprite

- <integer>: no clue. Sets tiledata+2.

- <sprite>: the sprite to display. 24 is funny tongue.png (BLOOD!)

No real scenario ever uses it, but it allows you to put stuff like crashed planes and damaged grounds all over the place smile.png It is cool! smile.png

[Edit] Made my text a bit more readable .. I shouldn't try to write English after reading code for hours tongue.png

• Upvote 2

can you make a list of the different objects this produces? It doesn't match the SHP graphuics list in my editor, anyway. I don't think I even got the blood in there...

That's not surprising, as the smudge sprites are not in the SHP files, they're in ICON.ICN.

I doubt they'll disappear. Even corpses stay forever if they're loaded from a savegame. The timer just isn't saved. There's no real reason to assume that these pre-placed objects on the map will even have a timer.

My opinion exactly, but I thought asking for confirmation was a good idea :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the clarification  :D

I have a few tile types I've got a friend to help me test for personal use already. When I finish it if no-one beat me to it I will upload. Which utility opens the files so they can be edited this way?

Oh, and why would the default corpse color be red?

Dunenerd

I indeed mean a list of all possible tiles that can be used with this.

I haven't tested this yet, but I suppose all tiles are usable :) The smudge tiles proper are in the beginning of the file:

ixremap.png

I also think that concrete and broken concrete (right after the fog of war tiles) could be also useful.

Which utility opens the files so they can be edited this way?

You are being very, very inattentive.

There is yet another format used for terrain tiles and buildings, which includes two files: ICON.ICN and ICON.MAP (located in DUNE.PAK). You can read more about it here, and also some bits are in this thread and in this thread.

Dune 2 Tile Editor (Beta) by ArrakisResearchCo. It will read ICON.ICN and ICON.MAP directly from DUNE.PAK. Read the explanation here. Some more info in this thread.

• 2 months later...

I haven't tested this yet, but I suppose all tiles are usable :) The smudge tiles proper are in the beginning of the file:

ixremap.png

I also think that concrete and broken concrete (right after the fog of war tiles) could be also useful.

You are being very, very inattentive.

Sorry, I had a very bad dose of flu that week. Very Sorry. But I'm hoping it won't happen again.

Well, I'm going to get around to finishing that Dune Who mod oneday, and I'm hoping I can use this in my maps. One map should have massive amounts of damage (like after a massive battle) so this should be nice.