Excess on the Orient Express campaign

Was wondering if ayone had any tips as to when you should start shifting loads between Paris and Constanople and how long it takes to complete the 24 loads once you have track completed between those two points.

In my current campaign, I have tracked all the way to Constana, so I still need to buy rights in Bulgaria and the Ottoman empire. I noticed the prices for both regions has dropped slightly, so I was wondering if it is better to wait and build up some more income (currently in a recession, so I am trying to increase my cargo trains and networks). I floated some more bonds after moving through Austria-Hungary, so I am also carrying some debt now (maybe 8-9 bonds), most of it 5-6%, but that last two bonds are at 9%. A final note, only the Iron Duke is available for a train now (the best train during this era, fastest that is, but also the most expensive to run) in around 1860 or '61.

I also noticed on a gamefaq guide    http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/198394/20897     I should connect Romania too for extra money, something I have to check as I am not sure I have linked them in or not. Is there any time limit on doing that?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx a lot in advance,

GA

Hi Giangi,

I hadn't played this map for a very long time, not since I was still learning the game.  OK, I'm *still* learning!  So I played a game this morning.  I think it's probably a pretty good map to learn some of the more advanced techniques of playing the game.

Was wondering if ayone had any tips ...

1) Starting Cities.

Usually, the most important decision you make in RRT is where to start.  How you play the first year or two is very very important to the outcome of the game.

The strategy guide you quoted is a reasonable beginners' guide, but should by no means be considered an authortative text on this subject.  It suggests Paris - Lyon as the start.  BZZZZ.  I think Paris - Dujon  is better, because a large station at Dujon can capture all/most of Briacon as well.

2) Passengers are the best earners.

Because you can buy hotels, restaurants, hire better managers and in this case, get a 25% earnings boost by picking the right starting option, passengers are almost always the bet cargo in RRT.  The further you haul them, the more they pay.  But ....

3) Don't waste them ....

You have to make the most of your passengers.  Your cities and stations only supply (and demand for that matter) so many passengers.  They are a valuable resource, so don't waste them!  Haul them as far as you can.  Make them stay in your hotels and eat in your restaurants.  This is more important than mundane things like servicing your locos.  And ... your route should be as straight and flat as you can manage.

4) It's generally better to expand in large leaps rather than small steps.  And don't be scared of using (company) debt to finance big expansions.  As in life, the debt to worry about is personal debt. 

I noticed the prices for both regions has dropped slightly

The price of the territories is based on your company's "goodwill".  It's determined (mostly, we think) by how well your company services it's stations.  Leaving loads sitting around creates bad good will.  Picking things up quickly boosts your goodwill.

I hope this help ...  please let us know how you get on

Still enjoying, now have connected to Constanople and I did get the Romania bonus as well. The economy is sluggish,  but predicted to pick up. I probably need to redo more routes depending on where cargo/passengers is building up.

I always love grabbing passengers, but I do find that cargo saves running some half empty trains or helps with holding you over during bad times. It's almost '63 now, and I have 5-6 trains running toward my goal of 24 trips. Anyone know about how long those runs take usually?

The referenced guide is pretty general, that's why I was looking for other players' feedback. I also spent money building a bypass through Serbia for my Constanople to Paris trains as I figured that would speed up that part of the journey. I will probably try and get that route off my main tracks where ever I can depending on money of course. My debt is a little higher now, maybe 11-12 bonds, but manageable.