EBFD Starcraft 2 remake attempt

PredaN00b

Hello everyone!

Being a fan of Westwood games, I looked for one of their games to try and remake under the Starcraft 2 engine. Having most enjoyed Emperor the most, I decided to try and do a mod of it.

This mod is still in early development. But I wanted to get some feedback on whether I should go on with it or not.

I've started with the house Atreides, and will later move on to the other houses. I've also done a harvester/carryall system and a rudimentary Worm A.I and around 85% of the Atreides units. (I still have kindjal, outpost, starport, the palace and the balancing of already done units)

Please go here for a detailed description of what I've done so far http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/predan00bs-dune-mod/

The problem I'm having most trouble with is making the units similar to those of the original EBFD. This is why I need objective opinions on how well the units are done so I can make them as similar as possible to Emperor's. Hence I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me test my map on battlenet and give me their review on things.

If all goes well and the mod gets some support from you guys, I will commit to it, and later (when I fully complete and test a House) I might seek someone to remake the models from EBFD.

You can reach me on this forum, my email ddragon_47@hotmail.com or on battlenet on the European server under the name Dragon (character number 1318)

Looking forward to this one. Reminds me of my C&C maps in SC1. Turned 1 into a dune2000 map.

You can edit models and skins? In WC3 this was possible, so i guess SC2 has the same support.

And try to turn the damages into round numbers, noobs will complain ;)

Take dessert maps, use the brown skin for upper levels and sandy skin for the lower levels. Get a trigger running that only allows to build on rock and get 1 trigger to allow worms only to move in the sand.

Good Luck.

Looking forward to this one. Reminds me of my C&C maps in SC1. Turned 1 into a dune2000 map.

Thank you for your reply fellow mapper ^_^

You can edit models and skins? In WC3 this was possible, so i guess SC2 has the same support.

Yes you can pretty much edit 90% of the things in the sc2 editor! (Although I've yet to have that much skill :D)

The damages are automatically calculated from the main damage you see on top. I'm using percentages compared to the types of armor (medium, heavy, structure,etc...) so it will be quite long if I want to round them up. Maybe as finishing touches to the map.

Take dessert maps, use the brown skin for upper levels and sandy skin for the lower levels. Get a trigger running that only allows to build on rock and get 1 trigger to allow worms only to move in the sand.

Good Luck.

I don't think it's possible to restrict building to certain textures, but I'm searching for something that will act as the "creep" like for the zerg which players will be able to build upon. (For now I have a temporary work around for it)

As for the worm, I have it restricted to certain regions where there is only sand :)

Thank you for your reply again!

If anyone wants to test it with me please contact me ^_^

Nydus worms can be spawned anywhere.

Creep tumors can be spawned from creep tumors within a certain range

Perhaps you can use 1 of these systems for building a base. I would go with the creep tumor system.

With SC1 i used a trigger where you could only build on high ground. My map only had rocks for high ground and sand for low ground. If a player started building on low ground, the building would simply get destroyed as punishment.

Same goes for when a building started flying, it was almost the same trigger. With SC2, it is possible to dissable the flying function.

The trigger (again a bit modified) was also used to keep sandworms (exploding lurkers) in the sand, yet hunting for units.

Some more questions.

Are you going to implement a ranking system for the units?

Does the Minotaurus do splash damage?

Sure i would like to test the map. Just tell me when you're done.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Getting caught up in college undecided.gif

I though about using the creep system, but I've yet to find out a way to make the creep a different texture or make it invisible. And noone in the SC2 modding community seems to know how >_>

When I have some time I'm going to try something similar to the pylon system.

Also, I have only 3 units of house atreides to finish, so I can test it even now if you're interested.

Good Luck.

Is it possible for you to post the link to where I can download that map. I think I may of played it before. Was it the one where the sandworm was basically controlled by an observer and the effects was cause by a bunch of dying lurkers? And I think SCVs were spice harvesters.

Is it possible for you to post the link to where I can download that map. I think I may of played it before. Was it the one where the sandworm was basically controlled by an observer and the effects was cause by a bunch of dying lurkers? And I think SCVs were spice harvesters.

The link is in the original post http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/predan00bs-dune-mod/

Here's the link to the file directly:

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/predan00bs-dune-mod/files/2-preda-n00bs-dune-mod-v0-3/

I don't think it's the same map. The worm is controlled by AI and I'm using the MULEs as spice harvesters.

Ow, i think he was asking me.

Sorry to say, but i lost that map due to selling my old computer. I needed a new one to run SC2 :). I know which map you mean. Yet i had my own version.

My lurkers where not controlled by human players. I borrowed the idea from another mapper and put Trigger AI on the observer to hunt, the exploding lurker did indeed the trick. My unit damage system was totaly different then the one you played. Of course the SCV where the harvesters. Didn't put much effort in the map, that time i started recreating the single player missions from C&C Dawn. Got to level 9, those maps too are lost. No one actually cared those days :D.

Maybe i will start mapping soon as well, but then i do C&C Dawn/RA or dune2000.