HELP GETTING ONLINE WITH XWIS ON WINDOWS VISTA ?!

jasonspaz

I followed these instructions

NOTE: If you are running Vista you must change the permissions on the Hosts file in order for the XWIS tool to work. You MUST be in an administrator acct. to do this!

Go to C/windows/system32/drivers/etc

Right click on the Hosts file-select properties.

Select the Security Tab.

Under group or user names select(highlight) users, click on the Edit button.

Under the allow column select all except the last one(special permissions)

Click apply and then OK until your out.

The problem I have is when it says go to "Go to C/windows/system32/drivers/etc" I dont know how to get there. I managed to right click the xwis program and then go to preperties, which I was able to find the adjustments mentioned above.

I am so lost though XWIS syas " your host file could not be updated" Can someone explain to me like a child...lol and exact step by step to get xwis running on Visata so I can get online to battle the Harkonen.

Thanks in advance

JASON

Ok, I launched xwis as an administrator, and made the proper adjustments, I think. I am able to get the xwis utility running and I eneter in the RA server numbers in the top line. Now when I try to log in I get a bad password. I am certain my password is correct since I have used it on emperor for years. What now?  Also I noticed the XWIS set tab button is missing? When I eneter in the RA server numbers, there is no tab to set them like I remember there was in the past.

Thanks in advance

Hmm, seems quite a few people have this issue...

I'm sure it's the tool not supporting or even noticing 'user account control' in Vista/7

Aside from setting appropriate permissions for 'username/administrators' for your hosts file  (just those 2!) ,

It may help to completely disable UAC >restart >then try the tool again >then re-enable UAC ...(it's setting is here>>  Control Panel>User Account panel)

Better yet, don't even bother with UAC if you know whats good for your pc and whats not!

I have never had this issue, although i never use UAC either ;)

FYI i didn't need to change any permissions, be careful with that!

I highly suggest making a restore point before you change anything that may disrupt certain services (like disk access scanning/system logging---oh yes!)

oh right, laymans guide mmk...

1) Disable UAC> (user account control) off/lowest level

This is in 'control panel>> user accounts'

2> Restart your Pc >> err really?

3> Run the Xwis tool ( no need to run as admin anymore )

4) set the Ip

5) Testsickles?!! did it work?!!

6) Flame/blame the author of the tool and the OS as well as the game for good measure