Change IP in XWISC under Windows Vista

DAV333

Hey Dav, I don't know a lot about Vista, as I don't use it. But if you feel confident doing it manually, this should work.

1. Open Notepad with Administrative privileges by clicking Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then right-click Notepad and select to open as Administrator.

2. Now that Notepad is open with Administrative privileges, use the open dialog to browse to (C:WindowsSystem32driversetc) and open the hosts file.

Now you can edit and save the hosts file.

You should see a line that looks like this-

XX.XXX.XXX.XX servserv.westwood.com

Except the numbers will be different. Replace the current numbers with the correct numbers for RA'S server. 

So it looks like this-

64.212.211.93 servserv.westwood.com

Or if for some reason it's not there, just copy and paste this one.

If this works for you, let me know and I will add this info to Erjin's getting online guide.

Thanks Voodoo Daddy ,

I have followed your instructions to change the hosts files by notepad. The windows Vista didn't let me save the file after changed.  Someone advise me disable user account control.  Do you know how?  Do you think it can work?

This is the first time I saw your photo in your Site since I play with you many time in Dune. The name I using in Dune is Viking.

Hey Dav, yes I remember you well. It's good to hear from you.

As to your question. First, did you open notepad exactly as described in step 1? Just opening notepad won't work.

You can try temporarily disabling UAC. Go here- http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm and use method #4.

Let me know how you make out.