Does anyone have the formats of the graphics data?

Guest wilsonj

Guest wilsonj

Does anyone have the formats of the graphics data? I am talking about the .r8 & .r16 files. I know that someone must have them because the map editors can read the files. I need it if you have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok dude,

I searched through my source code and found the section where it extracts the tilesets.

The .r8 files are made up of a whole heap of records like this:

29 byte header - not sure exactly what this is; probably palette info and/or terrain attributes for the game

1024 bytes of image data - 32x32 bitmapped image of 8-bit palette references. You'll need to get a palette to read this images in, or they'll look pretty weird. Try using the palette that comes with SH2K. It's in the Tilesets dir, and it's called d2k.pal. It's stored in the RGBRGBRGB... format, so that 3x256 = a total of 768 bytes.

The .r16 files are stored differently since they are a higher image quality. I couldn't work out how to read these files, and couldn't be bothered since the .r8 files worked fine.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you, but uni's a bitch...

:P

Guest wilsonj

Thanks for the info, it looks like some of the entries in the data.r8 file dont fit the mould, they could be other sizes than 32 x 32. I will have to look at that some more.

Thanks for the info.