Dune 2000 windows XP problem?

I just put in the dune 2000 cd in the cd drive for the first time in about 5 years. However, i couldnt even get the game to install. i dont know if its an xp problem or not. Everything else is working fine, i am even able to play really old games such as Fallout 1 & 2 and Master of Orion 2,but this one does seem to to be working. I did a search on Dune 2000 + XP in this forum and did find some refences to this issue. I tried following those suggestions such as changing the screen resolution to 800x600, going into properties on the dune 2000 cd and changing compatibility settings. I tried running the game in 256 colors, changing the resolution to 640x480, trying to run in it in windows 95,98 and 2000 mode, but nothing seems to work. Even tried lowering the screen refresh rate t0 60 hz, but that didnt help either. I must mention that when i did change various settings the resoltion did change and i got less colors, it looked like the game was trying very hard to install but it kept going back to the windows screen.I dont know if i'm doing something wrong or perhaps the disk is defective or something. This is not my original copy of this game, i bought this one on amazon. If anyone knows how to fix this, i'd really appreciate any suggestions