Help

Guest noodlesss

Guest noodlesss

i just bought a new (refurbished computer) celeron 266mhz and it wont run dune2k for some reason. It instals alright but when you try to run it you see thick black lines flickering on the screen.

If anyone can help me to fix this it would be great.

The computer is a Hewlett Packard and westwood says that they had trouble testing with HP's i am also running windows ME but i dont think that should affect it.

Thanx, Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dunedreamer

I think I may be able to help, but don't quote me!

Here is a quick quote from the Dune2000 manual which looks like your problem:-

"In some cases, DOS based CD-ROM drivers can cause the game to lock up on a black screen when loading. Most CD-ROM drives made within the last few years are ATAPI compatible, and as such do not require DOS drivers to run in Win95 or Win98.

Look in your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files and put REM at the start of the following lines ( Exit to DOS and type edit autoexec.bat or edit config.sys)

CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:CDROMIDE-CD.SYS /D:MSCD001

Note that your line may not be the same as this one, but it should look similar. Look for CDxx.sys somewhere in the line.

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

C:WINDOWSMSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /M:12

Again your line may not be the same but it should look similar.

If after REMing out these lines, you find out that out that your CD-ROM drive is not found in Windows, it means that your drive is probably not plug and play compatible. Contact HP or your CD-ROM manufacturer and see if there are any current windows drives available for your drive."

I hope this helps, if not contact the place where you got your computer and see if they had any problems while testing it (if they tested it).

Ben Furness