Morocco-Rails over the Atlas, originally by Paul Bamburg, back in the day

loco_motive

For any of you that occasionally like to go back and play some of the old scenarios, here is a good one that I extensively reworked last spring. It is a nice scenario and I hope there might still be a few around to play it.

There is a readme in the zip file for the original and an update by me outlining changes I have made. I just came across it again but I'm pretty sure I had finished it. Oh, I see there is one thing I overlooked, so if you find it, no cheating now!

Gold requirements have been expanded considerably, including adding the 10 delivery side quests, several of which were previously no more than distractions.

Maybe those who play it through could report here if the goals seem balanced, ie; if you lose, what were you furthest out in, and if you win what goals did you overshoot the most. Also report any errors that crop up so other players can work around them.

If you have any problems, like you think you missed a quest or a territory, please do take a look in the editor.

Morocco-Rails over the Atlas (SM2).zip

• 3 months later...

Just tried out this map. Tried (on Expert -25% revenue) to use electrics and not cheat on any track-laying, not even cheap double-tracking. Ended up with 7 out of 10 special deliveries. So no gold for me. :(

I wondered what I did wrong. So, I peeked in the editor and saw that some deliveries had time limits that I don't remember in the information that pops up when they are announced.

I realize that any kind of cheating on electric track-laying costs or using diesel or steam would make it a breeze. Will have to sharpen my skills and try again. Good challenge, and enjoyable to play. Thanks!

My biggest suggestion to any player, is to have a pencil and paper handy.   There are just too many "side requirements" to keep them all straight.   Not that they don't make the scenario interesting in those challenges, it is just that the "pencil/paper" enables a player to have the notations on "quantity and time limits".    And speaking of limits, I missed or misinterpreted some goals, so didn't make the gold.   I didn't find any problems with the programming.   Everything seemed to be "okay".   I believe that any player will find this scenario a "real" challenge and find it enjoyable.  :)

Yes, I agree. I replayed and no problems now. Just make sure you do the side requirements within 3 years of their announcement. Sometimes the time limit is not listed, but there still is one. The large distances make this a difficult map to only lay full-cost electric track. It took me a few tries to be able to stretch out my lines fast enough to meet the side requirements. Trying to get a full-cost double track electric line from Agadir to Erfoud in time was tough. Obviously, seeding plays a big part in your start. There are some seeds that would be impossible. I try every seed I get, but sometimes I make mistakes and need to restart.

I have a suggestion Maglevforever. With scenarios which have different goals, once I have completed a goal, I start a new "save" with the title of the new goal. that way, if I screw up or want to make a change of strategy, I can go back to the last saved goal, and boot it up. It saves a lot of time trying to start from scratch. At least that is the system I use. Good Luck.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I make plenty of saves too. Sometimes I will write one word to identify what is happening, but mainly I just use the map name and numbers.

I was trying to make the map as challenging as possible by the way I was playing.

My main point was that the time limits of some goals on this map are not stated in the goals themselves. (You can see this easily in the editor).

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I see a few downloads and hope they resulted in some plays also as I would rank the original as one of the classic must-play scenarios.

The narrative nature of the delivery task statements may sometimes create some ambiguity or uncertainty. Regardless, I wanted to retain Paul's style here.

I believe the only hauling tasks with deadlines are the Apr/65 6 passengers to Bechar by the end of 1969 and the Aug/58 taking the king home within 2 1/2 years, both as stated in the task narratives. Another task, delivery of 6+ rubber in a single year states a required deadline, but there isn't one.

The comment lines for some of the introducing events give the time range in which the event will start, not how long you have to do it. None of those events have time limits for completion, as anyone can plainly see who knows how to look at the trigger statement in  the completion event.

What about alcohol to Agadir, rubber, and the produce from the Rif?

In the event list these events give time limits that are contained in their names.

The last thing I want to do is give spoilers to people about your map. I was just a little stumped that the first time I played I fulfilled all the conditions and then was not credited with a gold win (or 3 of the special deliveries).

The first 10 years on this map are quite intense, I was looking for every scrap of performance I could to meet the goals in time.

I love this style of map, and to be able to re-"conquer" it at a more advanced level, is great. The spacing in between the towns is my favorite feature. I think it is just about perfect. Not only does it make low value freight more realistic, but favors diesel power instead of electric, just like in real life. Full-cost electric on this map is a great challenge. Thanks, again!