Faulty events in "fixed" People's Train campaign map #16Chi~1

RSimpkinuk57

Please forgive me if this is old news. The map archive Fixes subsection contains an attempt by David Masters to correct some perceived faults. In my opinion the worst fault has been left uncorrected.

"1) Steel trigger set for wrong year

a) steel revenues drop back down after Korean War -

but trigger is set for beginning of war.  Fixed."

Two more changes are needed. The silent event formerly triggered in 1950, altered to 1955, needs its permanent effect changing from "-70%" to "+5%"! Furthermore, the newspaper headline event for the start of the war (triggered 195004) needs its temporary effect increased from 4 years 0 months to 4 years 8 months.

I'm assuming the map designer's original intention (judging by message and comment texts) was for steel revenue index to be 100 until April 1950, 175 from May 1950 to end 1954, and 105 thereafter.

regards, Richard

I'm having real trouble editing a post of more than about 15 lines at a time, so here comes Part 2.

A big thank you to David for his earlier work: without it I'd never have realised there was a problem to be looked at. In this one instance though I've two more quarrels with his amendments.

"2) "Cheapo steam" - difference between text and effect

a) text says 45% cheaper, effect set for 55% cheaper -

set effect for 45% cheaper."

The way I read the text, it said not 45% cheaper, but 45% (above zero). 100-55=45 so the original was right and the fix wrong: it makes the map harder than intended.

"3) fixed Beijing station - added Telegraph Poles, Sanding Tower,

Water Tower, and Roundhouse."

This makes the map easier: company cash is 50K down but more has been spent. I prefer to win without this extra help. In any case the sand and roundhouse are better placed mid-route.

One more problem with the original map: Ports. Two manufactured supplies (logs and pulpwood) both have the same demand (for goods). So far as I can see this doesn't work. Delivering three carloads of goods to a port (via a small station covering too few houses to have a demand of their own) got me two carloads of logs but none of pulpwood. I recommend changing the pulpwood so as to demand a different export commodity of your choice. Diesel perhaps, because the map can have few, maybe no electric plants wanting it.

You've got to use steam! Its all about getting big money quickly, and two cheap steamers earn twice as much as one early diesel - especially if John Wootten as manager keeps the fuel bills down.

I went on to win hard gold from here (with my steel fix): Jan 1954, economy booming, company net worth almost 11million despite owing 5million in bonds (all at 5% after refinancing); 1953 profits were 3.7 million, George Pullman has just applied for job. Double track completed to Hong Kong (first two trains from the latter already en route) plus some short branches. 21 steamers of which 18 were Hudsons bought cheaply from those second-hand dealers (and being run into the ground hauling 4-car trains, but I then started buying reliable GP9s when available and later eased the steamers down to 3 cars). I was lucky enough to have two iron and two coal mines close to the route, and factories demanding steel.