Modding Conventions

Kingpin

I've started to create a website to track the progress of my mod, the War of Assassins. While it is very new, and under heavy construction, I invite anyone interested in publishing their units that they have made to send me the data for their units. This should ease the process of reinventing the wheel for would-be modders, and myself. As I said, myself and Apollyon, primarily, as well as my trusty Desert Eagle ;), are working to flesh out the details of the mod's own units, so it may be some time before I can publish anyone else's, but I will publish them in good faith.

All I ask is that you email them in this form...

Mod Taken from, if applicable.

Credits

Unit title, e.g. Harkonnen Assault Tank

House, e.g. Harkonnen

Mission, e.g. Assault, Support, Attack, Anti-infantry, Antivehicle, antiair, etc.

Unit Description, including its purpose, special features, liabilities, and any comparison to other similiar units.

Unit explanation, if warranted. This is to include any unique attributes. The 'face dancer' unit quickly comes to mind as one that may need a how-to manual with it.

Artlin Data

Bullet Data

Turret Data

Unit Data

Any other unique data such as new XBFs or .ini data that needs to be published.

All of the above is useful information that will allow a modder to quickly incorporate the data into a mod, will allow someone to advertize a mod, or allow someone to try a unit out if they are curious.

Also, I will adaopt several conventions to describe any unit in its most pertinent qualities, such as speed, firepower and rate of fire, armor, cost, buildtime and health.

For speed, for instance, I will set a comparable measure...

<4 = Very Slow

5-6 = Slow

7-8 = Moderate

9-10 = High

11-14 = Quick

15-20 = Fast

21-24 = Very Fast

25< = Extreme...

to allow useful comparisons on the fly.

Firepower will be mostly the bullet damage times the turret firing rate per 1000 'ticks,' noting also where this damage is 'continuous,' uses an XBF salvo, or similiar. Armor is relatively straight forward, and health will be graduated similiar to speed.

All of the above will help describe the unit's effectiveness in a shorthand, and be used for balancing issues. It will also help describe AND more accurately apply the veterancy structure.