Dad of Dune Players wanting to get them online or in LAN game

dadofdunekids

My two boys (ages 8 and 10) have fallen in love with Dune. The natural progression is for them to play each other.  I have tried to get them going online or connected through our LAN with no luck.  When I try online, they get on ok, they can chat with each other, but when the game creator chooses start there is a 60 second countdown with notification saying 1 of 2 players found, then they are returned to the lobby.  It looks like they are not able to "see" each other - but they do see each other in the lobby and can chat.

LAN is not working for me either. I have loaded IPX protocol, but each computer seems to be in its own world - they cannot see each other using LAN.

I have loaded patch 1.06, disabled firewall on XP machine (other machine is 98), and offered large amounts of spice to the guild . . .

We need more spice, then we'll help you. lol.

Anyways...man I haven't played Dune 2k in so long. I tried installing it last night but it doesn't like XP. I can't even get the screen to load. "All I see is darkness". Well I can hear music though... But, normally to play any type of LAN game over TCP/IP (which is easier than IPX to work with) you just specify the private IP. I.e. set one computer to host the game, then get the local IP of it (from a command prompt, type ipconfig /all and note the IP, should be 192.168.x.x or possibly 10.1.x.x) then on the other machine, do a join and specify that IP as the game to join.

• 2 months later...

Hello The Spacing Guild,

i have read you can bypass the problems with windows xp by right click the dune2000.exe icon and to the properties to change the compatibiblity mode to 95 or 98.

Can you specify how i can set one computer to host the game?

Always enough spice

Lotion