My New mod

flybyjack76ers1

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry for bringing this topic back, but I have to add my opinion. I would suggest that Innoculator9 should remove this mod from his website. The only change to the game is the addition of this Jackblade unit. This unit:

costs 50 credits

builds extremely rapidly

is very fast

is poorly animated

has 2 powerful sonic weapons

and is invisible

And this unit is only added to the Atreides side.

On my first test of this mod, I was annihilated by the addition of a single Jackblade (that I know of) to the AI force. I was not expecting such an overpowered unit in the game, so when it appeared it wiped out 3 Laser Tanks with one shot, then disappeared. Only 2 units I had built were able to survive more than one shot, a Harvester and a Sardaukar Elite. The only purpose for this mod is to gain an unfair and uninteresting advantage over either the computer or another player who has been fooled into playing against you.

Alex

Have you played Emperor online with mods installed?

You can not 'cheat' online using mods, because in most cases, the game will go out of sync if you build a unit that has different attributes to the original game (i.e. your Rules.txt is different than the Rules.txt of the other player).

There were reports that in some cases, the game would not go out of sync, but I think that is a rare occurence, and requires special circumstances which I can't quite remember now, to not go out of sync online with a mod installed.

I know that it doesn't work if only one person has the mod, but if someone asked you to try a particular mod, would you be suspicious? Say I asked you to try a 'really cool' mod that you hadn't tried before, that was available on Dune Editing (the closest we have to an official mod list). Would you agree to play?

Alex

Personally, I wouldn't judge a mod/map by its rating. The reason is because people can give false 'ratings' just to spite someone. Ratings really don't mean anything IMO, you have to play the mod/map for yourself and see how you like it.

There are too many criteria to list about how I judge a mod. With maps, I can usually tell if I like it by looking at the thumbnail.

There are some maps in the Emperor downloads section that have 1 vote. All 1/10. Not even I've given a map a rating as low as that, and if you go and search for them, you'll probably see why I think the way I do.

There is a difference between a rating of 1 with 1 vote, and a rating of 8 with 30 votes.

In any case, it is a better guideline then de download count.

(I always pay attention on how the name is spelled, if there are typo's, then I starting to doubt that the mod/program etc. itself is good. This I do with more then downloading mods)