More Fun With Projectors!

Exo Etherial

'Allo, all you happy peoples! As the topic sudjested I am going to relate the joy of Projector Tanks.

When I was but a wee gaffer in my playing of Emperor, I didn't have much regard for Subhouse Ix. I thought, at the time, all they had going for them was the Infiltrator. I thought the Projector was like all the other hallucination capable units of other games. Able to make useless replicas that couldn't be of any help in a fight. Then I found out quite by accident (a slip of the mouse and lax micromanaging techiques forced me to have 5 of these...) that these are absolute murder!

A projection should be treated as what it is, a delicate gun. One hit and they pop like a balloon, which isn't that bad mind you. You can, for instance, do what I've done many times before. Turtle for a short period until you get out a single unit, the ideal unit would be an Ordos Laser Tank for this, and 5 or more projectors. Isolate your vehicle unit with walls and then... MASS PROJECT! Within a few seconds you'll have put together an overwhelming force of hallucinatory death that will be able to turn back any push. Repeat as needed, and if you have Sardies as your secondary Subhouse, then by all means project, rinse, repeat. ;D

A particular favorite strat of Ooh-Ooh-Ka-Choo-Sexty-Two.

Good to see another Ix enthusiast. :D I find projectors very useful in the campaign, since the AI doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference, however online against humans, they're not so effective, due to scouts and humans being able to 'think' more intelligently than the AI.

Yeah, well my philosophy is: Anyone can use Fremen and rock, but the best use Ix and then laugh evily as they dance upon your corpse.

But anywho, projected armies are very nice, if you dedicate two group slots (6 and 7) to the projectors and the copied unit you can raise an army very, very quickly.

Projections don't cost anything, so I say: Send them off blindly to kill, my son! Send them off blindly to kill!

Actually the Projector is there to make people believe your army is much huger. Normally I project the most long ranged unit (and powerful) of my army and mix them together for increased firepower. Also if you managed to sneak one of two projector behind enemy lines that'll be a great problem to face.(Imagine 2 Devaster popping out of nowhere right next to your conyard)

Also if there's an Tilexu enemy nearby, your can project a Leech to attack their own units, producing real Leech as well(not contaminator, they'll be found to be a projection before they even had a chance to attack).

Pity the projected units can't deploy. Imagine hundreds of Ix bombs running into your base and they all deploy. ;)

i think duplicating cloaked units more powerfull and unstoppable, try feds or warriors.

and another good thing, if u choose house ordos and worry about Gunship, try duplicating enemy missile tanks and ur abcs, and don't forget to protect ur projecter by gun turrets.

i think duplicating cloaked units more powerfull and unstoppable, try feds or warriors.

and another good thing, if u choose house ordos and worry about Gunship, try duplicating enemy missile tanks and ur abcs, and don't forget to protect ur projecter by gun turrets.

ABCs? APCs?

Very good idea, duplicating missile tanks.(I often do that!)

I shall set the scene:

You are on QT settings. You are Atry, Hark, or even Ordos. IT hasn't even been 10 minutes yet and you're doing great! You just got out that second Factory! Victory will be yours in just a few minutes! Everything is qued up and as you prepare for youe happy-dance of victory... Horror! 15 Missle tanks just crested over the ridge. Oh no... How did they?! They are being flanked by 30 Sardie regulars! How?!

Duh, your opponent has just utilized a Projector Rush. This very nasty, very effective way of killing most mid-level players. Quite simply put, you focus on a straight-up scout'n'burn BO so that your have 2 Houses of Ix as soon as possible, all the while compensating for your lack of units with defensive structures in key areas and base entrances. This works best if you are Atry or Hark and thus have access to good turrets. IF you're Ordos compensate how you normally would with Chems and AA troopers.

This works THE BEST when you are going against Atry oponents and are Hark. Tromping your absolutely free forces with a few projected Snipers in the mix with your projected Missle Tanks can make all the difference. Insta-gibbing any scouts that they are stupid enough to think they will boil off your projected army of doom.

• 3 weeks later...

The Worm Rider displayes its own self when not moving, though the whole worm when moving.

Only problem is that you have got to make sure your opponent sees the worm coming towards their force.

Also some cracked old fool(e.g. me, henry)are stupidly brave enough to try fight a worm and your projection simply disappears.(Shooting a worm gives you a lot of ranking points!!! ;D)

Or you may send a few fake worms before sending the real one, when your opponents ignore it and try to run through it, only finding thousands of real teeth around themselves.

it is the same color for your enemy its the same for anyone

Yup.
havent really looked into this or created a tactic for this, but what about the inkvine residue? any ideas of the most effective way to stop the projections?
1.The inkvine residue remains unmoved even in the projection.

2.Just rush a handful of scouts to the projections and all of them will dissapear.Or use your real units/projections to rush in front of projections but the con is that the projections will damage and possibly destroy your units.

• 1 month later...

Inkvines are very effective if used properly. You can force fire on the ground at a narrow passage. This will leave a residue and the residue will continue to kill projos. You will need a substantial number of inkvines, and ideally you want to keep them firing at the passage ways. A good back up is scouts and fremen warriors behind the residue splotches. You'll want to do this because most people will send a few feyds to kill the inkvines. If you stop their mad projo rush, chances are you won the game. Most people who make projos don't have the money to stay in a longer game. They were relying on the projos winning it for them.